Thread: Rod weights & line strengths

Threaded View

totally agree with Buddy.

Go hang weights on a 5lb tippet hanging from a curtain rod.....or some rod. Hang ten of them. Hang barbell weights on one till it breaks. Then do it with quarts of water...on the next one, then bags of sand on the next one,.... rocks, turquoise, diamonds, ........

It does not matter what is applying the pressure. When the tippet gets to its break point it is going to break. It is not dynamically designed to work better with turquoise than copper. It is not designed to work better with 6wt rods than 2 wt rods......

When it gets to the break point it is going to break. Period.

A chain that is three different sizes tied together pulling a dead truck along.....the weakest section of the chain is the weakest chain in that length of total chain.

THE WEAKEST LINK IN A FLY LINE FISHING RIG IS THE "TIPPET"....when you are rigged for trout. Well, that is if your tippet is normal. I don't think I would fish 30lb backing as a tippet with 10 pound fly line. I think even I know which part of THAT rig is going to go first. But that takes the kind of a guy that wires his air conditioner which is mounted on the roof of his house.....and has 30amp fuses in the unit....up there on the roof.....and wires it to 10amp ckt breakers in his utility panel. Then keeps wondering why his ckt breaker keeps tripping and his air conditioner won't stay on.

Not germaine to the issue of which rods to fish with? Yes, it is. It is about what will take the tippet to it's breaking point. And it does NOT matter what material is being used to stretch it to that breaking point, because it is indeed going to break.

Well, I guess that's what makes horse races. Everybody has a different opinion. I am in Buddy's corner.....not that anyone cares. But I agree with Buddy Sanders on this subject. And I sure have found this whole thread interesting reading. Very fascinating opinions and comments. None of them all that far off base. All have truth in them....I think.

Anywhoooo.....I think I understand enough to know how I am going to fly fish. BTW I fish my favorite small stream with an 11' 6wt rod.
    Last edited by Gemrod; 12-01-2010 at 05:07 AM.