+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Simms sneaker v/s Simms boots v/s Patagonia Marlwalker boots

Hybrid View

Default Simms sneaker v/s Simms boots v/s Patagonia Marlwalker boots

considering investing in a pair of boots to fish the salt. They will be used VERY sporadically as I live thousands of miles away from the ocean, so at best they might get used once a year. I have been looking at these brands of boots and there seems to be a great difference in price. What is the big advantage of the Simms boots over the Simms sneaker (I know the boots go higher on your leg). Is the boot that much better than the sneaker? What are your opinions on Simms v/s Patagonia

I never wear the sneaker or sandal type of footwear when fishing saltwater unless i'm walking the beach. Then I wear a pair of Teva sandals. If I need specialized footwear, then boots are in order! The extra ankle support and protection against all the various and sundry unusual things one encounters when wading around on flats is well worth a little extra expense. If you can't stand up/walk, you won't be fishing much. Footwear and eyewear are two things I do not believe outdoorsmen should skimp on. The third is emergency gear.

The Simms boots are excellent saltwater wading boots. I can't think of a use for the shoes. I've never had much faith in Patagonia gear (plenty of experimentation) and certainly not worth their premium price tags. But I know nothing about the Marlwalkers.

If you only fly fish saltwater on a "big trip to the salt" type of basis, don't try to cut a corner on footwear! Getting put down for the duration by a foot injury or even really sore feet/legs just isn't worth the risk. Hedge your bets and make the extra investment.

Take a look at the Cabela's Bone Sneakers
    My buddy's had a pair for 4-5 years and he loves 'em
    Wears them around 35-40 days a year
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I wear the Simms Flats Sneakers all the time. They are light, give good traction and give good support. If you are only going to be using them once a year, I would probably look as something cheaper. The Cabelas bone sneakers mentioned above would be a good choice and there are a number of places you can get zip up booties cheaper. Just make sure you get the kind that go above your ankle. Another option I used for years before they wore out were a pair of ruber lug sole Hodgeman wading boots. I also have some Marlwalkers, but they are heavy and major overkill. I never wear mine.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

I also have the Simms Flats Sneakers , and they will fill up with sand that comes thru the drain screens, making them uncomfortable. Think I'll try sealing up the holes with silicone to seal out the sand from coming in.

We use the Simms tropical flats boots here in Hawaii and on Christmas Island. You need the ankle support when your on your feet all day. Not everywhere you walk is flat. There are uneven, rocky, and coral bottoms. Also protects you ankles from coral cuts.
    Be sure to get 2 pair of the long wading socks. You pull it all the way up and then fold it down over the tops of the boot. Keeps the sand and small rocks out of your boot. (get 2, so you'll have dry soxs to put on the next morning... not as difficult as trying to put on wet ones) LOL

Also take a roll of duct tape.... Blisters and salt water are a real pain. Also some duct tape around your stripping finger is a must. Wet salty flyline pulled accross your wet unprotected finger will produce blisters in just a few hours.

+ Reply to Thread