Thread: A tying box...

Hybrid View

Post A tying box...

Whip 'em up streamside...

as usual:

https://planettrout.wordpress.com/20...5/a-tying-box/

HAPPY TURKEY DAY !!!

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries

Very nice!! I like it

Normand Guest

too heavy to drag around streamside

Blog Entries

That is a nice setup! How heavy is it, actually?
    This would even be great for traveling - for me between my parent's house and my college house. This Thanksgiving break is the only chance I had to tie lately and I couldn't decide what I wanted to bring of my materials so I just threw them all in a big bag - this box would sure be convenient and keep things more organized!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    too heavy to drag around streamside
    Did not want to be the first to say it, but have to agree. The classic look is great, but the lack portability and the relatively limited storage capacity have always been a downside of these old school tying kits, IMHO. Nice woodwork, regardless.

Bass_Bug Guest

Don't know about taking that stream side, but I can see taking something like that to a cabin/lodge for a fishing trip. I know some folks tie stream side, but I'd rather just take whatever fly boxes will fit in my vest and pack and have several dozen different patterns on me to try. Besides if you do your research properly before heading out, you should have an idea of what flies to use in the first place, right?

Hi All,

I think the box may actually have quite a bit of capacity. If you read the original article that the link is to, you find that he puts capes, etc. on the hooks in the back, being held down by the bungees across the back. There is also a fairly good sized tray that fits in the bottom of the box, it goes in behind where the stand for the vise sets. He also has a small metal box that fits in in for such things as delicated tying tools and head cement, etc. The trays will hold tons of dubbing, beads, etc. I suspect it has a lot of capacity.

The only problem I have with it is the size, it looks bigger than I would want to take all of the time. I don't, however, have a solution that is any better, and perhaps not as good.

Regards,

Gandolf

Blog Entries

Something like that would be great for fly tying at Scout Camp!
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Yeah, it's a REAL pain in the rear end to have this box in the back of my rig when I am FF here and the next shop is in West Yellowstone, Cameron or Ennis:

... why do I bother to take it with me when I'm up on the East Fork of the Carson, the Boulder, in Monache Meadows or up at Ruedi Res. on the PAN - at 20lbs.loaded, it's way too heavy...what was I thinking?

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." - Herbert Spencer

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 11-26-2010 at 04:23 AM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Default Mine's heavier...

Very awkward and heavy, has all my basic tying matls. and tools in there and i sometimes take it when i leave town to flyfish. Prolly weighs close to 25 lbs. or maybe more. Oh, bonus...can sit on it if there's a shortage of chairs !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread