+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Holiday fly recipes

Default Holiday fly recipes

I remember a few years ago there were some posts regarding fun flies for the Holidays. Cannot find that thread for some reason. Any recipes out there for fun things to tie?

How about a Christmas tree Fly? Some time back I found this fly on the net, tied some up and used them on gills and crappie. They were effective.

Below is a link to a similiar pattern. I used a #10 Mustad 3399 or 3366, A red tail, peacock body, grizzly hackle and a gold Czech glass bead.

Tim

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...Gor2swPXtcWaDA

Bass_Bug Guest

Here's my Christmas tree fly. Tied out of 8 different colors of deer hair and flashabou on a 2/0 hook. I tie a loop of mono through the eye to hang as ornaments.

Look in the Fly Of The Week Archives here under 4th Qtr 2006 For two Christmas flies. I'd post the direct link but when you go to an individual FOTW page the URL's are hidden from your browser and only show the default <http://www.flyanglersonline.com/> URL.

Default Betty created a great one

Our dear Betty created a hummingbird ornament and it is still in the FOLW files. I've tied many for friends and it is the only time anyone is impressed with the fact that I tie flies. It's a GREAT Christmas present fly.

Bass_Bug Guest

Yep, one of the two I refferenced in the 4th Qtr 2006 archives is Betty's Hummingbird Ornament. That is soooooo cool and even though it doesn't look like it, it is really very simple to tie.

Thanks everybody and Happy Holidays!

I did a couple of Christmas tree ornaments last year but made a few changes. I tied it on large hook with green deer hair, then sprayed it lightly with a spray adhesive and sprinkled it with glitter. Let it dry and then worked into a large clear ornament such as Betty did with the hummingbird. it got good reviews but nobody was as impressed as they were with the hummingbirds. I've done all those listed above and looking for something new to try. I also tied a butterfly ornament with swiss straw, chenille, peacock herl and burned mono line...not bad but needs refinement.

Blog Entries

I call this one gobble gobble for turkey day

+ Reply to Thread