+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm getting old!

My older fishing buddy would tie up to about 10 flies and tippets before going fishing then go with a loop to loop system when needed. His time spent on the stream was fishing and not standing there trying to get ready for fishing. Back then he was into his mid 70s and still outfished me, but he always told me I was a great guide.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knucks View Post
    I've been wearing glasses since I was 13 but yesterday I couldn't tie on a #10 fly. Been aiming to take my clip on magnifiers but can't remember to take them along. Another problem is memory.

knucks
    What do you do with the clip on sunglasses when you need the clip on magnifiers?
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

My eyes seem to be ok yet. It's my arms that seem to be getting shorter.Amazingly, however, when I put on my reading glasses, my arms seem to elongate again. Amazing!. BUT, I refuse to attribute it to "age". Age is strictly BETWEEN ONE'S EARS". ( speaking mostly for myself) Aging can be postponed/eased by a change of ATTITUDE. . Other than perhaps listening to rap music ( there MUST be a better word), there are few things i deny myself due to the accumulation of annums the Lord has gifted me. A step in the right direction is : I DON'T wear polyester.

Blog Entries

i went with bifocals a year ago, my doctor said that i would probably continue down the slope till I reached 2-2 1/2 magnification. I started out with one and sure enough a year later I need to go back and get stronger. If your just starting on this path, I would pass on the prescription sunglasses etc for a couple of years and buy a clip on magnifier till your eyes settle into where they are going to stay for a while.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

SINCE i REACHED MY 60S i HAVE NOTICED THAT THE HOOK COMPANIES ARE MAKING HOOK EYES SMALLER EACH YEAR. i AM CERTAIN IT IS A CONSPIRACY THEY ARE IN AGAINST US OLDER GUYS. WHAT REALLY MYSTIFYS ME IS HOW THEY ALSO ADJUST THE HOOKS I ALREADY HAVE IN STORAGE ON THE SAME YEARLY BASIS.

One of the reasons I like steelhead fishing is the flies are BIG and I still need magnifiers to tie them on. Not sure I could tie on a #20.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

You guys are just getting srarted. The next thing you will noteice is that your physical agility is declining and you will hesitate wading on those slimy door knobs. I gave that up some years ago and now just enjoy tying flies and fishing from shore or a boat. My age, 83.

Blog Entries

MRI on Monday revealed a 4th degenerative disc in my back.

kb

I can't remember. lol I have transition lenses and hardly ever wear clip ons. But if I use the magnifiers I will take them off when I get the fly tied on. I have knocked a clip on light in the river with the fly line before.

p.s. I fish out of a bass boat most of the time.

knucks

Well the eyesight is still 20/20 but I've misplaced my 20 year old eyes and found out the 40 year old eyes just don't work as well but hey it could be worse! I have found out that with the reading glasses I enjoy tying much more granted I still need to work on making my flies look like the pictures but hell I still catch fish and what I've been tying is not in the books anyway it was one of those flies you come up with after a couple Crowns on the rocks flies LOL

I think I have figured out to just go with a good set of sunglasses and pick up a couple pair of cheap reading glasses to take with me, my little brother ask me how I would tie on a fly in the dark with the bi-focal sunglasses? I just kinda said humm good point! then he ruined the wow moment with hey are you gonna tie me some more of those flies? little turd

Well i'm glad I'm not the only one out there but ya know I really enjoy flyfishing and tying and if I have to get reading glasses so what I still get to enjoy the outdoors and casting a flyrod and one of these days I'll figure out how not to cuss when the wind picks up, the sun glares off the water where I'm trying to cast, or the guy with power bait sits 10 feet from me on the bank, ok probably still going to cuss about the dang bait fisherman but hey it's a process LMAO!!!! Later,

Kirk

+ Reply to Thread