+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Tying Desk

Hybrid View

Default Fly Tying Desk

I have been looking for a fly tying desk plans for about 6 months now and my search has turned up nothing. I need something that will hold all of my supplies (not alot) and have an area where i can set up my vise. If anybody has plans for a desk that I could use, could you please send it to me. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

-Drew

I have used a TV stand before. I have a Stanley rolling tool box for all my supplies. I travel allot and this makes it easy. Even has a slide out compartment for hooks and beads.
    Then like I said, a TV stand will work as for the tying.

Blog Entries

Drew as we dont know the area that you need to put your desk into, or if it needs to be portable etc it is hard to give ideas, I use an cheep computer desk from walmart and plastic shoe tubs, I store the tubs in a bigger plastic tub. it works for me. I have a couple of boards that I stuck some dowell and drilled some holes into to make a thread/bobbin holder this works for me and as I have been tieing in the basement storage room it didnt mater what it looked like. If you dont like FG's Idea you might look at small roll top desks or desks with a fold up front that the front folds down to write/tie on

Eric

somthing like this would be ideal for me

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-9552811...4_2131_6184148

If I had the room I would want this

http://www.vermontfurnituremakers.co..._after_ss2.jpg
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 11-21-2010 at 02:42 PM.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Drew;
    Joni's idea is very good. The "Stanley" style tool boxes have been around for awhile, even starting to show up a yard sales and they hold a lot of "Stuff". I have a small folding "Snack/TV" table that I made a larger top for to hold more "Stuff" when tying. Good thing I have a good vacuum!

Love to see that stand Jack

My first fly tying desk was just a table with rollers that I got from the used furniture store - I was able to move it from place to place easily and not have to put everything away. And now my fly tying desk is only a bigger table, with the plastic chests all around it. But those wooden creations are beautiful.

The following may not be what you had in mind--it is more of a basement idea than what you'd want
    in a study or guest bedroom. But it works for me (and I am a woodworker too).

My local lumber wholesaler sells scratched solid-core wood veneer doors for 20 bucks each. Get one.
    Cut it down to size. Buy two or more plastic drawer towers (usually three drawers high) from Cosco or KMart.
    Screw a 2x4 ribbon to the wall at the same height as the plastic drawer towers. Put the door on top, scratched
    side down.

Now you have an extra-stout table that costs about 50 bucks--drawers and all. Put a few smaller plastic drawer towers
    on top. Mount your vise and a magnifier lamp and away you go.
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 11-23-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Cold Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pittendrigh View Post
    The following may not be what you had in mind--it is more of a basement idea than what you'd want
    in a study or guest bedroom. But it works for me (and I am a woodworker too).

My local lumber wholesaler sells scratched solid-core wood veneer doors for 20 bucks each. Get one.
    Cut it down to size. Buy two or more plastic drawer towers (usually three drawers high) from Cosco or KMart.
    Screw a 2x4 ribbon to the wall at the same height as the plastic drawer towers. Put the door on top, scratched
    side down.

Now you have an extra-stout table that costs about 50 bucks--drawers and all. Put a few smaller plastic drawer towers
    on top. Mount your vise and a magnifier lamp and away you go.
    This also gives you the option of custom locating of a clamp vise, not being limited to the edge of the table. Figure out where you want it and cut a slot in the door to accomodate.

Blog Entries

If you want something more permanent and have the space, consider hitting a home center and looking at the kitchen/bathroom cabinets. build a top for the cabinet and your good to go.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread