Quote Originally Posted by Steven McGarthwaite View Post
My Go-To-Book on Caddis has always been "The Caddisfly Handbook", a Orvis Streamside Guide. Written by Dick Pobst and Carl Richards.
A small (4" x 7") with 131 pages on just about all of the Caddis that a commonly found across the USA. Was printed by Lyons Press, and I bought at a half price book store. Been using it now for almost 15 years, and it has not failed me yet.

The coolest part of the book is Chapter 7, which by coincident has all the caddisfly groups divided int 7 categories for dressing the appropriated dry fly caddis pattern with the correct size hook for the species.

Example:
For the Black Caddis the material list is...

Body: Dark gray dubbing.
Wing: Black or gray hen hackle on Scotch "Magic Tape" cemented using Dave's Filament, folded and clipped to shape
Hook Sizes:
Brachycentrus size 16
Micrasema size 20
Amiocentrus size 20
Glossosoma size 20
Mystacides size 16
Ceraclea size 14
Neophylax size 18

So you have one fly pattern recipe that is used for 7 different species of black caddis on 4 different hook sizes.
It is a good reference. We are sort of discussing the contention I have which is that the caddis fly was not a universally important fly to the majority of fly fishers until perhaps as late as the late 1970's. If true, that is somewhat amazing to me.................