+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone have Gary Lafontaine's "Caddisflies" book handy??

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Anyone have Gary Lafontaine's "Caddisflies" book handy??

My copy is in storage. I remember reading his book in 81 or 82.
    I know this sounds crazy, but I seem to recall him saying that caddis flies were not considered an important fly to fly fishermen until the 70's?

If my memory is correct, isn't that astounding!?

Ibwas flyfishing in the early 70's and I admit the focus was on mayflies.

Would appreciate clarification on this from someone who has his book handy

Thanks
    Byron

In his 1st sentence he says "Throughout fly-fishing history caddisflies have been treated as if they were less important than mayflies" . He then goes on to say however that "Certainly not because of their relative value of these insects to the trout. Nor has it been because of their relative value to fly fishermen on the trout stream".

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 11-20-2010 at 04:20 PM.

The book was recalled very well ! After the Acknowledgments, in The Caddisfly Revolution page vii, it's written that "Throughout fly-fishing history caddisflies have been treated as if they were less important than mayflies." Furthermore, on page viii " In spite of the evidence showing that caddisflies are an important food supply on many trout streams, until the late 1970s not one major book dealt with the insect. This lack of attention seems like more than a slight imbalance. "

Blog Entries

Thank you!!
    I appreciate that.
    I got to meet Gary once and he demonstrated tying his deep Caddis pupa. He was quite a nice guy!
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 11-20-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Just a thought I've had In my head for quite a while: Do you think GLF was influenced by Sid Gordon's book "How to fish from top to bottom".

Gordon describes " the silver bubble" and introduces the Swanson Wet- Dry series of flies which are so compatible with Gary's ESP patterns. I think they were on the same page, Gary and Sid, and Gary was offering up an answer to Sid's question : Who ever solves the kicking legs and the bubble has got it.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Gary Lafontaine I sure do miss him!
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Molcsan View Post
    Gary Lafontaine I sure do miss him!
    Yes... he sure did have his shoulder to the stone.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

[QUOTE=hairwing;394027]Just a thought I've had In my head for quite a while: Do you think GLF was influenced by Sid Gordon's book "How to fish from top to bottom".

Gordon describes " the silver bubble" and introduces the Swanson Wet- Dry series of flies which are so compatible with Gary's ESP patterns. I think they were on the same page, Gary and Sid, and Gary was offering up an answer to Sid's question : Who ever solves the kicking legs and the bubble has got it.[/QUOTE ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------It did, as GLF referred to the use of modern synthetics in Caddisflies, which Gordon would have found had he lived; to create the shiny bubble ! Looked through an old Hank Roberts Catalog from 1968-1970's & it only has 1 caddis fly; but vaguely remember the "cut off the tail of the mayfly pattern" advice back then to get a caddis as S Gordon did to get the tent like profile of the fly; which are all over Rocky Mountain streams.
    Last edited by saltydancindave; 11-22-2010 at 11:43 PM. Reason: paragraph

Blog Entries

Very interesting Dave!!
    What were the featured flies in the catalog back then? I suppose catskill type dries? Hendricksons, cahills, Adams, etc?
    Was the one Caddis al troth's elk hair at that time?? I checked. Apparently his Caddis wasn't written up until the late 70's although he was probably tying the elk hair Caddis earlier.
    Thank you
    Byron
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 11-23-2010 at 12:40 AM.

+ Reply to Thread