+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most of you will remember this face...

Default Most of you will remember this face...

...and these hands.

...and if you need a reminder... and wait until 1:11 for the sceen.

Sadly Arnold Richardson quietly passed away a couple of weeks ago. He had a good life. He had a fly fishing life.

This is a link to a nice tribute in the Independent Record.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 01-04-2011 at 04:35 AM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

I read an article in our local paper about Mr. Richarson's passing. There was a picture in the paper with the article and I knew who it was immediately. The end of the movie just happened to be on the TV that morning and Marjie and I got to see him in action. It was a poignant moment.

Jeff

I don't want to be distrespectful but when I saw the film I wondered and still wonder, what is the name of knot he's tying?
    Is it a good one?

Thorarinn.

Poignant indeed Jeff. Poignant indeed. I think often of the St. Joe.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by thorarinna View Post
    I don't want to be distrespectful but when I saw the film I wondered and still wonder, what is the name of knot he's tying?
    Is it a good one?

Thorarinn.
    According to the "Cast of a Lifetime" link, the knot is a a "Turle knot". I don't know anything about it. You'll have to search for more info.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

What an awesome write up, and thank you for posting. I'v watched that part of the movie a thousand times it seems like. I am very glad to read just now what I read about him, cause I felt like he was for real not an actor...I am also very glad he had a long life with his wife, adds even more to the ending of the movie.
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Very enlightening. I'm sorry to hear of his demise.

I own the vhs and dvd versions of this movie. I always was under the impression that was Mr. McLean in that wonderful scene. I recall my girl friend at the time, when we saw it in the theater, asking me what is that knot (she was and is quite the fly fisherwoman). I told her I thought it was a turle knot. I've always meant to give it a try......never have.
    By the way, she immediately identified the fly that struck the older brother in back of the neck as a large stonefly.
    She was and is pretty savvy!

Ah, memories!

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Blog Entries

I use athe Turle Knot all the time. If you want directions just PM me.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Here is the turle knot.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

When I was a kid I learned about the turle knot. Scuttlebutt had it that the knot made economical use of the end of the tippet. The knot was said to be easy to untie, saving from nipping away the end of the tippet at each fly change and prolonging the length of the leader.
    Imagine today's angler going through that trouble to eventually save inches of waste from his tippet. Not gonna happen.

A mentor of mine used to untie the knot from his fly, saving those precious few inches of nylon. I would just grin at this vintage habit he got used to. I don't think he even owned a pair of nippers. He died in '76 and would have prolly been the same age as Arnold Richardson. He was an expert's expert fly fisherman.

I fumbled with the knot and even tried a variation written about by Swisher and Richards in which the knot was pulled tight in front of the eye. I finally gave up on the turle and went back and today use the clinch knot. I even have a pair of nippers! Although I use them and sometimes feel a sense of guilt when I lop off my tippet to regain the 6 inches I lost changing flies.

Come to think of it the Old Timers prolly untied their clinch knots to. Guess I'm more modern that I think I am sometimes.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

+ Reply to Thread