+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life's Roller Coaster a New Adventure-Brunei

Default Life's Roller Coaster a New Adventure-Brunei

Well one never knows, found out today that I will be permanently transfered for a three year contract in the country of Brunei in the South China Sea.

I have negotiated my yearly leave to correlate with Summer Atlantic Salmon Fishing in Nova Scotia.

Anyone want to provide any details on what to expect in my new home waters of the South China Sea.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Well first off congrats if they're in order. What to expect...hot i think...and humid...it's a wild place out in the sea itself so be careful where you swim. I once saw a volcano erupt right out of the sea and within days there was an island and at night lava could be seen spewing and flowing into the water. I think you'll find that the South China Sea is an amazing place. On the other hand, i know little of Brunei beyond what i see in the news.

Luck,

MontanaMoose

Thanks MM been here a few times on rotation for work and everything you described is correct.

I am hoping my required need to flyfish does not suffer, I guess so little is done here in Brunei I will take a country with similar positioning and do what they do and see what happens, I know there are king Mackeral, Barracudda and Beramundi. Offshore a bit are Sailfish and Marlin and they jig a lot for Groupers I beleive.

Should be an adventure none he less

It sounds like you get to write the definative book on fly fishiing Brunei. Maybe you'll give them a whole new fishing tourist industry.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I went to Google & did an advance search using the following: Brunei Sports Fishing. Looks like you might be in for some great fishing.

Tim

Barracudda...one of my dream fish. Maybe when 'they' see you catching fish on the fly they'll all want to do it and you can say you know a whole bunch of guides and we can all get back to work (that aren't) plus have a 'Brunei' FISH IN !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Should be very interesting, I plan to start a thread in fishing reports or Saltwater fishing when I get started, complete with pics.

I have secured a boat and owner to take me to some costal areas as well (price of petrol and some decals from home for his boat. yeah me it is a whaler style with a front casting plat form(Yeah me, )

Now an internet search to find out if my 9wt, lamson konic and rio floating line will hold up< and yes of course leaders for those toothy criters

Stay tuned

Best of luck in your adventure, please report.
    I believe I can fly fish

I'll be watching for the reports Stage...

I don't know much about leaders for toothy fish but the 9 wt. and the Konic should be fine with a good freshwater rinse after use, but then you prolly knew that. I'll be using my old Lamson 3.5 in the salt for chinook soon and have been told by one of the captains right here in faol that it will be fine and i would think a konic is light years ahead. For leaders, i've read here that a short piece of heavy mono at the fly works ok. Then there's talk about wire too...not sure which would cut easier. Keep us posted, this should get interesting !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I was told the Konic is a great set up for this due to the system being isolated by an o-ring makes sense. I already informed the wife to leave the bath free for when I get home from fishing trips and she said "you usually shower,I said "it is for my fishing gear" yes I got the look.

Rio has a toothy criter 7' leader

RIO? Toothy Critter Hand-Tied Leaders

For pike, bluefish, barracuda and similar species. Has a shock tippet of nylon-coated stainless steel wire with a small stainless steel snap to change flies easily or Vectran? wire you can tie a knot on. 7-1/2 ft.
    Colors: Clear/Silver, Brown.
    Sizes: 15 lb., 20 lb., 30 lb., 45 lb.
    • Should do the trick, Now to figure out some flies

+ Reply to Thread