+ Reply to Thread

Thread: reel for a 4wt glass rod

Hybrid View

Default reel for a 4wt glass rod

longtime graphite fly guy, new to glass, just got a 7'9" 4wt steffen glass rod and am trying to match it to a reel. The reel should hold a DT4 line with some backing, prefer click/pawl drag, vintage, or traditional design. members of the forum please weigh in with advice and suggestions for a reel pairing. thanks!

Cold Guest

How about a price range?

Anything from a $30 Medalist to a $300+ Hardy might do nicely.

I have a 470 Diamondglass with an Orvis BBS2 reel. In my opinion the reel is elegant and minimalist...not really traditional, but not cutting edge either. To me, it goes with the simple looking rod, and I've done some tweaks so that it's totally silent, both on the retrieve and the strip. About the only way I'd be persuaded to switch would be if I found a steal of a deal on something otherwise out of my price range (ie. Hardy, Tibor, Abel, etc.)

You can't go wrong with an older Hardy-made Orvis CFO III. They are often available on the auction sites at around $200 in good shape.

While I have no experience with them, alot guys on FFR like thier Young reels on glass because they are a touch heavier, balance well, and are said to be bomb proof. I think there is an SA (older version, Diawa) system 1 4,5,6 reel floating around one of these sites that would be just about right for your rod as you described. A 3" reel would not afford you much room for a DT4 + backing. I would go for a 31/8" diameter to a 31/4" for 100yds backing and your DT plus the weight. The extra backing will get your 'arbor' built up to that of a mid-large arbor that you may be accustomed to. Of course, there is nothin wrong with a good old American made Medalist 1494 or 1494 1/2 DA. You can hop them up with a whole array of One P-foot products!

aa
    Last edited by appalachian angler; 11-16-2010 at 05:05 PM.
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

I have a very nice 1494 1/2 with extra spool for sale if interested. Just PM me.

How about a Johnson Magnetic Joe Brooks favorite reel? I got one. Fishin' Jimmy

+ Reply to Thread