+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New rod for Pike

Hybrid View

Default New rod for Pike

I was thinking of getting a new rod for Pike, and Bass fishing. I was thinking of one of the shorter Bass type rods. Like the Redington Predator, or the TFO mini-mag. I have a 9' 8wt Scott now but would like something shorter for fishing the brush. Any input would be helpfull, Thanks.

I bought a Sage largemouth rod with the same intentions you have but it didn't work out that way. I find myself using one of my nine foot rods almost all the time, not that the Sage is a bad rod. It's just that a nine foot rod is a better choice in almost all situations. Still it's nice to have the option.

I really enjoy the shorter rods for many applications. They reduce the fish's leverage advantage, the shorter length helps toss tighter loops (easier to stop a shorter rod on the cast), and they are easier to land fish with out of a float tube, pontoon, canoe, or kayak. I have the Sage Largemouth and Smallmouth models and they have become among my favorite rods. I still use 9 footers when fishing from a boat and making consistently long casts but I also use the shorter rods from a boat also. In addition to the Predator and Mini Mag, consider the Ross Flystik.

The Predator 9wt and Flystik 9wt seem roughly equivalent to the Sage Largemouth rod. The 8-10 Mini Mag is a heavier rod with more beef in the butt section and also a bit more tiring to cast all day.

Anyway, I love the shorter rods as a complement to my 9 footers.

I was thinking of getting a 6wt. Our pike are not the biggest in the world. Most are 5, or 6 pounds. I have cought them up to 18 pounds though.

The 6 or 7wt Predator or Flystik with an 8wt line , and 6-8 Mini Mag would be good options then. With a 7wt or the 6-8 Mini Mag you can upline to a 9wt line if you need to cast larger flies. A good friend used the 6-8 Mini Mag Combo ($300 for rod,Prism reel, 8wt line, rod/reel case) all summer for tossing small to medium sized bass bugs and loved it. I have the 7'6" TFO TiCrx 6wt, which is a great rod for panfish and light bass action but may be a bit too light for your application.

I built myself a 6 1/2 foot six weight to throw poppers and divers for topwater bass and pike fishing.

I really prefer the shorter rods for working the lures. You can twitch/pop/pull a bait with your rid tip low to the water easier with a shorter rod than you can with a longer rod.

This rod, rigged with an 8 wt. line, lets me throw big pike streamers, deer hair bugs, and balsa or foam poppers up to 3/0 the distances I need to fish (I do fish from a boat for bass/pike, so I'm not even attempting casts over 40 feet. I need to be closer to the fish to hook them and get them away from stuff).

It will handle pike to 40 inches without a problem.

Good Luck.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread