+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RED RIVER STRIPERS - Readers cast (Bill Hillman) - November 15, 2010

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default RED RIVER STRIPERS - Readers cast (Bill Hillman) - November 15, 2010

RED RIVER STRIPERS

When I was a kid we frequently fished from the levees in the Sacramento and San Juaquin River delta region, mostly hoping to nail a nice striper. The minimum size limit for stripers was 18 inches but it was rare that we ever caught one that big;once in a while, maybe, but not often.

Thanks Bill, I really enjoyed reading your story, and your pictures. They tried stocking Stripers in Iowa back in the early 1970's, but the DNR determined it to be unsuccessful. They do stock Wipers/Hybrids here, though.
    I can certainly envision applications of your striper knowledge to the Wipers in our local tailraces!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Thank you sir. We have those hybrids down this-a-way, too. They get pretty big, they love streamers and they pull really hard. They'll take you into the dark corners of your backing, too. Good luck to you.
    Bill

Careful of the license requirements when fishing below the dam at Texoma. The border between Tex and Okla is quirky, and the being licensed in one doesn't count when you cross that invisible line in the water

You're right! It's pretty tricky as to just where you're required to have the Okie licence in posession, particularly if the water is low and you wish to wade. Since I want to be able to fish from both banks, and launch my kayak, I have both states covered. One might be very careful about it with just a Texas licence.

The Texas Game wardens will and does sit in his truck and count the fishpeople keep even at night with night-vision binoculars and scopes.
    Someone ought to take em away from him and smash em into a million pieces cuz that just aint right.
    In my opinion that is gettin way too picky....but the Striper fishin is fantastic.
    Thanks for the story and great photos Bill
    Last edited by jeffro; 11-18-2010 at 06:07 AM.
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

+ Reply to Thread