+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about Spey (Two Handed) Fly Rods

Hybrid View

just fyi
    I just looked at and searhed Albright's closeouts and the spey's are no longer available. When you click on the "closeouts" you used to find the spey rods there. No mas.

Definitely discuss with Poppy. Another who will discuss is Bob Meiser. I am including a link to his blanks. But you might want to go to his home page. A lot of information that is great information. Also a website called Spey Claves. Lotta good there as well. I will be attinding the annual Spey Clave in San Francisco which will probably be in April. 3 day event....no charge to enter...free parking! Have you EVER heard of Free parking in San Francisco...grin

home = http://www.meiserflyrods.com/

blanks = http://www.meiserflyrods.com/rodblanks.php
    Last edited by Gemrod; 11-14-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Hi Michael, you should get a good rod for $300, TFO, and Echo spring to mind or if you are happy to build one yourself you can get a Rainshadow kit for about half that price.
    Talk to Poppy, tell him exactly what you expect to achieve and where you will use it and he will be able to point you in the right direction, he even has some pre loved rods if you dont mind second hand.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Thanks for all of the advise. I will use this information as a starting point, and will check out Poppy and his shop.

I agree with what everyone else had said. I have TFO's and ECHO's and their very nice rods. I fish the SR quite a bit and my spey of choice is a 12'6" 8wt. It's a perfect length/weight for the steelhead up there. It may be a bit light for the kings, though. You might want to consider a "switch" rod, instead. For our smaller tribs they're a lot more versatile. You can use them on smaller water and execute spey as well as, single hand techniques. Poppy will definitely steer ya in the right direction.

+ Reply to Thread