Thread: Holy Cow....I hit a cow!

Threaded View

Default Holy Cow....I hit a cow!

Not good to drive in my area after dark. Returning from Phx to my home...a 3.5 hour drive though the countryside. Rounded a curve and towards a straight line of highway...ahead is a car with it's bright lights on. Upon sight I could tell the car was moving very slowly. Pitch dark and way out in nowhere. I am thinking this poor fellow has car trouble. I may have to stop and offer assistance. Here in our area you FLASH YOU LIGHTS AND TURN ON EMERGENCY 4WAY BLINKERS when there animals on the road or nearby. This person did not do that. So I am thinking he has car trouble and I slow down (65mph speed limit) but am blinded by his bright lights on, and cannot see ANYTHING past his oncoming car on my side of the road.....until it's too late. Four cows. I plowed into them...and the other vehicle LEFT THE SCENE AS FAST AS HE COULD ACCELERATE! I swerved and tried to go between two of them. Nailed one in the head and broke her neck I am sure. I think it killed her instantly. I am ok. Truck gonna take thousands to repair. Nobody else hurt. Cell phone in dead area....I backed up, three cows scattered out of my way....I backed my truck off the road facing the big dead cow on the highway with my bright lights and emergency flashers going, I ran up the road in the dark and would flag cars down as they came near. Sleeveless T-Shirt and 25 degrees. Finally a person showed up, stopped to help and had the Onstar system. Works great...where phones do not.

Just fyi
    Last edited by Gemrod; 11-12-2010 at 12:20 AM.