I was returning to via Globe to Show Low via Salt River Canyon. 'tis about 30 miles believe it or not...maybe 20....across the valley....meaning a distance to traverse if you want to cross from one exit toward Show Low....to the Other exit toward Show Low. Like goint up to Globe or over to Payson highway. Anyway if I am heading to the valley near Mesa/Tempe I go down via Payson. If I am in East Mesa I go home via Globe. The canyon does not bother me. I just choose the route on convienence. However no more. I will take my chances with the elk 'tween Payson and Heber/Show Low. I told the patrolman too bad it's open range. He said AZ IS an open range state. But where I hit the cow is NOT open range. The cattle are just not controlled adequately as the fences are not maintaind that well. So, I wonder if I should sue someone? It was some rancher making money off cattle, that did not control his stock properly and I have to pay the price. I know, unfortunately others have paid a worse price. A person came by and exclaimed, "holy crap (not his words) they can't keep the cows off this road? Those cows were here this morning when I drove thru..."

I am lucky. And I know it. If I hit that cow straight on instead of just in the head I and my truck would not be around anymore. I would be 6' under.