Quote Originally Posted by CM_Stewart View Post
I don't know that I have ever done a roll cast with a tenkara rod - and that's after 3 1/2 seasons of fishing nothing but tenkara rods (or similar poles with the line tied to the rod tip). I generally fish with a line that is about the length of the rod, plus about 4' of tippet. If I tried to do a classic roll cast, there wouldn't be enough line still in the water to give you the anchor for the cast. I mostly fish streams, with my back casts going downstream between the streamside trees, and casts going upstream.
Chris makes a good point. As I think back, I've never made a roll cast fishing a stream/river. When fishing moving water I use a set up very similar to that described by Chris (or maybe a foot or two longer). I also fish large rivers, so I'm not concerned about my back cast.

When fishing ponds, from shore, I do use a line considerable longer, usually up to 2x-2.5x longer. With that longer line, and shore line vegetation, I do use something at least resembling a roll cast. I personally find I have to slow down my stroke and it works fine.

With the longer lines, I find it tough to do a bow and arrow cast (which does work great with shorter lines.)

In any case, if you get a rod, you'll find you'll have fun playing around with it.