+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tim's Ford Tennessee ?

Default Tim's Ford Tennessee ?

Who fises there? and What should I know before I go? I Have fished below Norris is this anything comparable? Just don't want to make a 100 mile trip into a complete waste. thanks, david

I assume you intend to fish the Elk River, which is the tailwater coming from the dam on Tim's Ford Lake, for trout? If you are you need to make sure to check the generation schedule. The Elk below the dam is not fishable if they are generating and they are trying to lower Tim's Ford Lake for the winter pool. If you are coming during the weekend, they do tend to not generate during the weekend, but, will generate during the week. Sometimes they will not generate on Friday. The fishing is usually pretty good and this time of the year, there is not much going for the fish except for midges. There is a good bit of wadeable water and it can get crowded during the weekends. Now that hunting season is going on, it is somewhat better.

If you could let me know when you plan to make the trip, I could try and meet you and would be happy to show you what I know about the Elk River. We also have the Duck River to trout fish and it is fishing fairly well right now. The Duck River is the tailwater below Normandy Lake. There is no generator but they are trying to lower the lake for winter pool and any release over 300cfs is not very safe wading. If the Elk is running too much water to wade, we can try the Duck.

I have fished both of these rivers for many years and have enjoyed them very much. I have never fished below Norris and do not know if it is comparable.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I have fished the Elk at Tim's Ford Dam with Warren and Jack Hise. I have caught quite a few fish there due to Warren's and Jacks's advice. Matter of fact was just there about 2 weeks ago and had a wonderful time. When I was there, the Duck was fishing better that the Elk due to the generation schedule. The bottm line is listen to Warren and Jack, that is their home waters and they have a good handle on what is going on.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Thanks, Warren for the offer. Brother-In-Law and I have talked about possibility of a trip to Tim's Ford so I thought I would run it by the "Board Members" first. I have been by the dam but know nothing about fishing there as I mentioned earlier. Thought I might tighten the learning curve a little by asking a few questions. Most of my fishing has been warm water, but have Shoal Creek at Lawrenceburg, TN and Buffalo at Laurel Hill for trout with very little luck. We did make a trip in September to Tellico , which included a half day at Hiwassee. Soooooo you can see, not a lot of experience at coldwater fishing. Anyway I will talk B-I-L and PM you should we come up with a possible date. Thanks again

ELHead,

Just let me know in advance when you are coming and I will check the generation schedule for the Elk and the water release schedule for the Duck and we will put something together on where would be best for fishing. I will gladly show you everything I know and will try very hard to put you on fish and, hopefully, you all will have a great time.

Until then......
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

As they say here, Much obliged Warren.

David

ELHead,

Somewhere along the line I have been informed there is now a tailwater fishery in Alabama below the dam on Smith Lake, the Sipsey River I guess. Now if you want to plan a weekend trip to Atlanta I can usually arrange to take a fellow on a little float trip down the Hooch, especially in the summer being a true son of the South I have thin blood.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Thanks, Unk I will keep you in mind too. Should be headed to the Shoals area let me know and we will arrange something around here. No trouts close but smallies, goggle-eyes, and plenty of striped bass of various sizes, not to mention panfishes.

David

+ Reply to Thread