+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite furling material

Thanks Duck,
    I'll Check
    Sweets

Default Danville 210 Flymaster Plus ...

... furled to about a 6' finished length in a 10-8-6 configuration and 40% butt section, 30% mid section, and 30% tip section produces a very supple, very strong, and somewhat stretchy leader that will submerge but doesn't really sink that I can fish very effectively with both dries and nymphs on my 3, 4, and 5 wt rods and does reasonably well on my 7 wt.

... furled to about a 12' 6" finished length but with an approximate 8' butt section, this leader works quite well on my Tenkara rods for fishing dries up to size 8 hoppers and golden stones. It will work with a heavily weighted stonefly nymph, but the casting is more like laughable than smooth.

I've experimented with some light mono, but the stuff I used had some memory so that was the end of that. ( I've also twisted some leaders from mono and fluoro, and they weren't bad, but they weren't nearly as good as thread furled leaders for the fishing I do. )

I've used 6/0 Uni but those leaders are a bit on the light side for what I do. They were okay for small dries on my lighter rods, but not so good for bigger flies fished off heavier lines. I furled a 12' 6" Tenkara line / leader out of 6/0 Uni using the same configuration and proportions as the Danville 210 for Chris, and he found it quite suitable for the Tenkara fishing he does.

I also experimented with kevlar tying thread. Kevlar produced a very strong leader that was less supple than the Danville and had no give at all. Not a bad leader, but kind of pricey - about three times more expensive to make than the Danville. It would probably perform noticeably better in the wind than the Danville and turn over the larger flies a bit better.

I have used leaders made by others from various materials, including fluoro. Most were very good leaders and it is easy to understand why those folks like them for the kind of fishing they do. But for what I do, none of them worked as well as the Danville 210.

Which makes the point that came up on another thread, that the leader pretty much has to be tailored to the individual's preferences and his equipment and the way he uses it. The same leader can be the absolute best for one person and pure junk for another. To write off furled leaders because you start with a piece of junk would be like writing off fly fishing because you tried it one time with a rod that you didn't like.

John
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Which makes the point that came up on another thread, that the leader pretty much has to be tailored to the individual's preferences and his equipment and the way he uses it. The same leader can be the absolute best for one person and pure junk for another. To write off furled leaders because you start with a piece of junk would be like writing off fly fishing because you tried it one time with a rod that you didn't like.

John

Glad to see this; couldn't agree more.

While I use the 6/0 Unithread for most of my own fishing (most, not all), one of the things I've always loved about these little tools, the leaders, is that they are so adaptable. That's why I've always said that the dvd is just simple furled leaders, a starting point. Maybe it's also an ending point, maybe not. Just makes me smile to see all the variations, material and lengths and taper, what so many good minds can do

Kat

Kat,

Just wanted to thank you for making the DVD. Best investment I ever made!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thanks, WarrenP. You make me smile every time you post.

Kat

Kat, I second what Warren said. Dad gummit Warren you are retired. Come fish with me!

The only problem Ii have with the furled leaders is matching them to fly line size. I recently tried to cast a typical furled leader out of 6/0 thread with a much bigger fly line and no workie. So I know how to make good leaders for 2wts to 7wts maybe. But above that I don't know what to do. I don't know how to make a good "floating leader" for big bass/pike flies. I am going to try just doubling all the material to see what happens.

I am so thankful that I bought Kat's dvd. Thank you Kat...for doing it. You should double the price.

Jim,
    You can increase the number of loops ....of coarse material gets used up faster...or you can go to a greater diameter material...say 2# to 4#.

I try to get my leader butt to about 75% the line tip diameter. Area = pi r squared.....the perimeters usually given are... leader butt to be 66% to !00% of the line tip diameter.
    Of course there is also the relative stiffness factor.

I think I just further high jacked my own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetStreamS View Post
    I've gone through all my catalogs and can't find a source for Berkeley Vanish Transition Gold. Anyone
    know where I can get some?
    Sweets
    Sweets,

Watch Ebay you can get some deals on there for the 4# http://cgi.ebay.com/Berkley-Vanish-T...item45f6ace3f4
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Thanks Duck. Good info. Funny how things make sense when you read them...but you didn't think of it yourself.

I needed that info and thank you for it.

I use Guetermann Tera 180 and Skala 360 mostly for dry fly leaders. Comparable to UNI 3/0 and 6/0 but much cheaper when bought on 5000m spools. For sinking leaders i use fluorocarbon (DAM brand).

Karel

+ Reply to Thread