I Jimbo the bimbo have asked that question several times of the old timers up here. Which reel. Most said the reel is only something to hold the line. When they build a new rod they look for the lightest cheapest reel they can find. Point is....my question to them initially was about reel weight and balance. I got this post a bit backwards. Anyhooooo......the old pros up here consider balance not important. Others on the boards and in mags state it is important icw fatigue. I know that every rod combo I ever bought balanced within a 1/2 inch..give or take a tad.....between the cork handle and the rod.....right in front of the reel so to speak. Now having said all that crap. I visited with an FAOL'r in Phoenix and he showed me a light 3 wt rod and made the comment "you wouldn't believe how much difference it makes in the casting of that rod with moving the reel up or down a little." THAT comment kinda says reel position.....which should affect balance.....is pretty important. Perhaps balanced or not......it looks extremely importat to me to get that reel weighted and located where YOU like the feel and casting of the rod. How to get there? I am not sure. But, what I have decided to do is install a spinning rod handle on my rods....I think some call it a Tennessee handle but I am not sure on that. But a 12" handle with a 1" diameter (maybe 1 1/4" on longer rods) all the way with slip rings.....I can position any given reel up and down with quite a bit of flexibility...with ANY reel I put on it. Even a spinning reel. And if it just so happens it feels good on the rod.....and it's in the middle of the handle...so be it. It feels good to cast there...that's where it belongs....and I have some fighting butt sticking out below it if needed for long rods in high wind, or with a big fish on.

Sorry for length of thought.
Just trying to help the issue.

Gem
"Never ten words or less"