+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reel Weight Vs. Rod Weight

Again, that's personal preference. The rod felt heavy because odds are, it was heavy. It is bamboo, after all. Given the same rod, I would likely choose the lightest reel I can get away with, my preference is for the least overall weight and tip heavy is pretty meaningless to me personally as grew up having sword "fights" with my brothers and friends and the mock-ups of swords we have used are several pounds heavier than the heaviest fly rod. For me, having a heavy reel below my wrist is somewhat more fatiguing because I'm not as used to it and it forces me to use different muscles.

As Bamboozle stated, it's subjective. If you like it a certain way then by all means, do it that way. But as a question that you can get a definitive answer to from people on the internet, it's a myth. From the standpoint of physics, it makes absolutely no difference whether you have a heavy reel, or even no reel. The rod is capable of throwing the same amount of line regardless of the weight of the reel. If it did make a difference other than indiviudual preference we would certainly have charts to tell us the ideal weight for our rods.

[This message has been edited by Bill Blake (edited 23 March 2006).]

Yeah, I was afraid there wasn't going to be a general rule for this. I may test drive a couple of similar rods with those reels, since my new one won't arrive until after that sale at Orvis is over.

Thanks.

I prefer a slightly heavier reel. It seems to counter weight the rod a bit better (for me). It's defintitely a subjective thing.

jsalkas,
    Congrats on your new rod purchase. I'm sure that you'll be happy with it.
    Just my two cents on this. I have both reels that you asked about.
    The Bass Pro Ultralight is small, very small. It's a nice little reel that I use on a 6'9" moderate action 4 wt. It fits this short rod nicely and makes for a sweet setup. The reel has no drag, but I've not encountered a bluegill that has taken me into the backing yet. As a matter of fact I have no backing on the reel. Not enough room if you use an 80' or so line.
    I tried the Orvis BBII on that rod and it did not feel as good as the BP Ultralite. I am satisfied that I made the right choice.
    That being said, I have a Temple Fork 7'6" 3wt. that really is a nice rod. The BP Ultralite reel is too small for this longer rod, even though the rod is one weight below the 6'9" rod.
    The Orvis fits very well with the longer rod and is a pretty sexy little number that will give me 60' casts almost effortlessly.
    Personal preference? Absolutly. I tried them on each rod and bought what felt good to my hand.
    Hope this helps a little.

"I recently refinished an old cane rod.
    When test casting it, the rod felt uncomfortably tip heavy"

You don't say? Maybe that's part of the reason why graphite has unseated bamboo as the prefered material for fly rods?

Get a reel and put it on the rod and go fishing with it.

In my mind a smaller reel that the usually listed range is better for a couple reasons:
    -less weight and bulk (both in your hand and in your pack)
    -100+ yards of backing really isn't soooo necessary.
    Migs

"Prefered material" by who?

""Prefered material" by who?"

The industry, the masses, people who fish too often to use some nostalgic expensive toy all the time, people who fish large rivers, outfitters and guides the world over... Am I forgetting anyone? I'm shure you think bamboo is really cool and it has what you describe as a great feel that is somehow intwined with your soul or something, but I, like most people, disagree. Bamboo is like a motorcycle, good to take out for a spin on a nice day, but not so good to go to the store and get groceries, or to ride in the winter.

Oh

I Jimbo the bimbo have asked that question several times of the old timers up here. Which reel. Most said the reel is only something to hold the line. When they build a new rod they look for the lightest cheapest reel they can find. Point is....my question to them initially was about reel weight and balance. I got this post a bit backwards. Anyhooooo......the old pros up here consider balance not important. Others on the boards and in mags state it is important icw fatigue. I know that every rod combo I ever bought balanced within a 1/2 inch..give or take a tad.....between the cork handle and the rod.....right in front of the reel so to speak. Now having said all that crap. I visited with an FAOL'r in Phoenix and he showed me a light 3 wt rod and made the comment "you wouldn't believe how much difference it makes in the casting of that rod with moving the reel up or down a little." THAT comment kinda says reel position.....which should affect balance.....is pretty important. Perhaps balanced or not......it looks extremely importat to me to get that reel weighted and located where YOU like the feel and casting of the rod. How to get there? I am not sure. But, what I have decided to do is install a spinning rod handle on my rods....I think some call it a Tennessee handle but I am not sure on that. But a 12" handle with a 1" diameter (maybe 1 1/4" on longer rods) all the way with slip rings.....I can position any given reel up and down with quite a bit of flexibility...with ANY reel I put on it. Even a spinning reel. And if it just so happens it feels good on the rod.....and it's in the middle of the handle...so be it. It feels good to cast there...that's where it belongs....and I have some fighting butt sticking out below it if needed for long rods in high wind, or with a big fish on.

Sorry for length of thought.
    Just trying to help the issue.

Gem
    "Never ten words or less"

+ Reply to Thread