You want truth talk to the old-timers. Reel weight does make a difference! In the old days of bamboo many rods were quite heavy - this was corrected by adding split shot inside the old Medallist reels.

Nowadays it is not close to being as critical. The rods are so much lighter they are much easier to balance. A heavy reel on a light rod does not feel bad but a heavy rod with a light reel will tear your arms up after casting.

I say this because I built a rod (fiberglass) that was very top heavy. It was a disaster to cast - two or three casts and I had to set it down. An old-timer and Champion Dry Fly caster from the 50?s pointed out the outfit was top heavy. I rebuilt the blank with less weight and it turned out to be a nice rod with the same reel. Top-heavy is a disaster while bottom heavy is not so bad. I was just fishing this morning with my 2 wt and an Okuma ?. The outfit is bottom heavy but works well. It would be nicer if I had a lighter real but for now I?m too cheap for the expense. This is the case with practically all the newer rods today ? they balance easier because they are so much lighter.

Jsalkas will have a hard time making that 2wt outfit top heavy. Just about any reel (within reason) will work fine.

Someday I won?t be so cheap and buy a lighter real for my 2 wt but for now the Okuma works OK.

------------------
--------
Let No One Walk Alone
><))))'>------<'((((><
Bill