I am still considered a youngster to a few in the fly fishing, that have been fishing all their lives, while I did not take up the long rod (forsaking all other forms of angling) in 1995. But 41 years of bait cast, spinning, & tolling; added to the 15 years of fly fishing does add up to many years of knowledge and learning about fishing in general. Best of all I am a quick learner, mostly from reading every article ever published on FAOL!

Kelly G. Glissmeyer (aka: K. G.) is a excellent writer, great photographer, and a very knowledgeable angler. He has now written three articles for "Fly Of The Week" and I hope that KG continues to share his knowledge, by writing more articles in the coming years, but I am happy that there are two other articles already to add this latest article to...

KG's Improved Shop-Vac
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/fotw/2009/fotw20091228.php

KG's South Fork Special
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/fotw/2010/fotw20100208.php

Here lays the dilemma The Parasol Emerger is not really a fly pattern, instead after long and careful thought I have concluded that is is a Emerger Fly Pattern with a strike indicator used to hold the emerger just below the surface of the water.

Saying all the above comments about the article, the Parasol attachment to the hook, can also be deployed on other fly pattern categories! Streamers (Zonker, Bugger, Wet Fly (all sorts), even Midge. Instead of attaching a Strike Indicator to the tippet on the end of the tapered leader, the the parasol can be attached to the lead fly on a two hook rig, where the second fly is attach to the rear of the lead fly pattern.

I believe this would be very useful when fishing in streams that have a stream bottom that has lots of debris littering the bottom (potential hazard of snaring the hook) or a stream bottom that has rapid variations of depth changes due constant change in water depth.

I am sure there are other way a angler can use the Parasol attachment to fish areas on the water that otherwise would be impossible to cast to or present their offering.

All it all, a very interesting article that is worth remembering or saving for future use! ~Parnelli

I have saved the "Tying the Parasol Emerger" article in PDF format (requires the free Adobe Reader Download for viewing). Send me a email at parnelli@comcast.net Subject: "Parasol Emerger" if you want this article for your computer document files.