+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Afternoon fishing session

Default Afternoon fishing session

I left work at around 12:30, ran a couple of errands and headed to the beach, such a beautiful day

I arrived at around 2:00 and there were some beach goers but it wasn't crowded.

I saw some birds feasting on sandcrabs or something and I tried that spot with a shrimp pattern fly

Good thing because right after that I got a fish

not huge but I got me a nice little ray

it liked my fly a lot and wanted it for lunch

Left at 4:15 when the action probably got better but I had to pick up my daughter from school.
    Gosh I wish I could do this more often
    I believe I can fly fish

Great job, that's pretty cool Martin!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Wondering what the take felt like MM ? If you catch a sand shark are you going to eat it ?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

It was weird but I've caught enough to know when I get hit by them, they don't run but you can feel the pull when they shake. I have caught shark (sand, leopard and shovel nose) on conventional gear and I just throw them back so there's fish when I come back. I have eaten perch and corbina...yummy!
    Last edited by Martin McFly; 11-07-2010 at 02:33 AM.
    I believe I can fly fish

Ok, well i asked if you eat sand shark because when i was 7 or 8 i remember going to a big fish fry on a Friday afternoon with my parents. In those days kids could go to a bar so long as food was served. I got to go back into the kitchen and i saw the small sand sharks being prepared and i remember seeing ppl pounding the shark steaks like one would pound abalone. I remember thinking that shark couldn't taste good but i did try it and i was surprised. After that i remember looking forward to the 'shark frys' on Fridays and ate lots of it. Might be worth a try.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I take the thing of it is knowing how to prepare it, maybe if I knew somebody who could. If you ever come to SoCal we can cook a couple if we catch them.
    I believe I can fly fish

Deal MM, i'll let you know next trip to SOCA and we'll go hunt sharks. I know some great beaches for that in Sb if you ever get up that way. Yep, they just skinned 'em, steaked across about an inch or so thick, pounded those, then cut 'em up in chunks, some kind beer batter i'm guessing (it was a bar afterall) and then properly fast deep fried and man were they good. The texture was such that one could chew instead of having the meat just mush out. I liked it a lot and would eat some in a minute.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Ok then but it has to be during warm weather because when it's colder sharks go deeper and we'll be more likely to catch smaller ones.
    I believe I can fly fish

Montana Moose,

I believe you may have eaten Angel Shark. They are rather large and are you can spear them around the Channel Islands. If you see large thick scallops in the store, they are probably Angel Shark punches. They taste and have the consistency of scallops. I personlly haven't heard of anyone eating sand sharks or shovel nose, but you never know. Let me know if you try one Martin and how it tastes.

Beaver

MM, i'm remembering that the sand sharks were pretty small so that will work for me. It's during warmer weather that i do my best work.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread