+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furling lessons learned

Hybrid View

Default Furling lessons learned

As I go over my furled leaders things occur to me that I learned along the way.
    Maybe we could all learn something if we each mention some we learned or some tips.

For Example:

I tended to make my Shorb loops too small initially....can be a PITA ...don't recall anyone mentioning size just how to make them.

Shorb loops can end up twisted...easy to not have this happen by paying attention as you form the initial loop.

Normand Guest

MY lesson learned is : i tried them. didnt like them. i dont waste any more money on them. went back to tapered leaders.

My lesson was that after trying all types of thread I finally decided to use Cortland Camo extra soft 2# mono for most of my leaders.# 2 is to use a # 12 crochet hook to put on the tippet rings

Quote Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
    My lesson was that after trying all types of thread I finally decided to use Cortland Camo extra soft 2# mono for most of my leaders.# 2 is to use a # 12 crochet hook to put on the tippet rings
    F-50 what's your source of Cam-O-Extra Soft?

My lessons learned on furled leaders is that I can catch fish on the leaders Jack made. I can catch fish on the knotted tapered leaders I have made. But I can't make a furled leader worth a darn. I'm pretty sure I'm leaving off something technical, like I may not be holding my mouth right or something like that. But the main lesson learned is, I prefer furled leaders alot. I think they cast better, last longer and present the fly much better than my tapered leaders.

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Lightbulb Quoting from a response to a question ....

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    MY lesson learned is : i tried them. didnt like them. i dont waste any more money on them. went back to tapered leaders.
    ... on the Election Day Results thread.

"The Sage is an Fli ...
    Originally Posted by pillcaster
    ...May I ask what type of leader/tippit length are you using?...

... 9' for 7 wt, which is a bit much for this stream but handles the indicator / nymph rig better than my other rods.

"The leader is a homebrew 6' thread furled leader made out of Danville 210 Flymaster Plus fly tying thread. This is the same leader I use on my 3-4-5 wt rods for dry fly fishing and fishing smaller nymphs. It handles the large thingamabobber and the size 6 4XL heavily weighted stonefly nymph just fine. The tippet for this set up was Frog Hair 3X fluoro. Had about five feet tied to the tip ring of the leader. The indicator was placed about 2' up from the tip of the leader most of the time.

John

"P.S. Some folks profess to have tried and not liked furled leaders. Makes me wonder what kind of junk they had to try out, or if they gave it a fair chance for the kind of fishing they were doing.

I mean, one thread leader that handles flies from size 20 dry flies on 6X tippet to size 6 4XL weighted stonefly nymphs under an indicator fished on 2X tippet and turns over both of those extremes and everything in between beautifully and enhances the prospects for a perfect drag free drift !! What's not to like about a leader like that that costs about a buck to make and lasts a long time ?? "

Just saying ....
    Last edited by JohnScott; 11-06-2010 at 05:51 PM.
    The fish are always right.

"P.S. Some folks profess to have tried and not liked furled leaders. Makes me wonder what kind of junk they had to try out, or if they gave it a fair chance for the kind of fishing they were doing"

John, I had a club member have a bad experiance with a furled leader but I convinced him to try one of mine. He had purchased someones "JUNK" that only wanted to kink up when cast! Now he likes furled leaders.

I wish people would state "Why" in stead of just blowing off furled leaders! "Good Grief" they may have even had a "Braided" leader and did not know the differance!

I figure there are about 3000 furled leaders that I have made floating around someplace in the universe. I've never had one returned. To the contrary, some of my repeat customers have bought so many leaders, I wonder what they are doing with them all. Nobody fishes that much.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
    I wonder what they are doing with them all. Nobody fishes that much.
    They are really nice people who give them to their friends and family they like them so much I would think. It's always nices to find something you really like that doesn't cost a lot so you can afford to share with a friend.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ... on the Election Day Results thread.

"The Sage is an Fli ...
    Originally Posted by pillcaster
    ...May I ask what type of leader/tippit length are you using?...

... 9' for 7 wt, which is a bit much for this stream but handles the indicator / nymph rig better than my other rods.

"The leader is a homebrew 6' thread furled leader made out of Danville 210 Flymaster Plus fly tying thread. This is the same leader I use on my 3-4-5 wt rods for dry fly fishing and fishing smaller nymphs. It handles the large thingamabobber and the size 6 4XL heavily weighted stonefly nymph just fine. The tippet for this set up was Frog Hair 3X fluoro. Had about five feet tied to the tip ring of the leader. The indicator was placed about 2' up from the tip of the leader most of the time.

John

"P.S. Some folks profess to have tried and not liked furled leaders. Makes me wonder what kind of junk they had to try out, or if they gave it a fair chance for the kind of fishing they were doing.

I mean, one thread leader that handles flies from size 20 dry flies on 6X tippet to size 6 4XL weighted stonefly nymphs under an indicator fished on 2X tippet and turns over both of those extremes and everything in between beautifully and enhances the prospects for a perfect drag free drift !! What's not to like about a leader like that that costs about a buck to make and lasts a long time ?? "

Just saying ....

Not to mention, one of the ONLY leaders that one can cast by it's self.

+ Reply to Thread