+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Furling lessons learned

My lessons learned on furled leaders is that I can catch fish on the leaders Jack made. I can catch fish on the knotted tapered leaders I have made. But I can't make a furled leader worth a darn. I'm pretty sure I'm leaving off something technical, like I may not be holding my mouth right or something like that. But the main lesson learned is, I prefer furled leaders alot. I think they cast better, last longer and present the fly much better than my tapered leaders.

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    As I go over my furled leaders things occur to me that I learned along the way.
    Maybe we could all learn something if we each mention some we learned or some tips.

For Example:

I tended to make my Shorb loops too small initially....can be a PITA ...don't recall anyone mentioning size just how to make them.

Shorb loops can end up twisted...easy to not have this happen by paying attention as you form the initial loop.
    Just this morning learned ...you can take the Shorb loops partially apart and change the size.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Just this morning learned ...you can take the Shorb loops partially apart and change the size.
    Wha...? Now that's a brain bender. Never occurred to me to try that. But now that I think about it, that makes sense. I'll have to try that.

How did you figure that out?
    Tim

Just did it...wasn't able to do on some of the tippet end Shorbs... too tight and small.....and I'm sure it will vary with material.

For those who have trouble with twisted Shorbs you can undo and then rotate the looped end of the leader around the standing end of the Shorb loop so it lays without twist.

+ Reply to Thread