... but on a couple of the most recent thread furled leaders I made, the thread around the incorporated tip ring seems to be fraying prematurely. In the past, I've fished the same leaders for 20-30-40 or more days with no evidence of fraying so this development is rather surprising. It may be that I got some bad thread, or that the new tip rings are not quite as smooth as the older ones, or maybe I used more weight when twisting / furling that I have in the past.

In any event, to ensure that I did not lose a tip ring, fly, and fish while fishing, I removed the incorporated ring from a fraying leader and then tied it back on using a simple clinch knot, and applied a liberal amount of head cement. There is a question how durable this attachment will prove. Another question is how the size of the clinch knot at the tip ring might affect those rare instances of a wind knot or some leader / tippet tangling.

If the clinch knot method of adding the tip ring proves durable and trouble free, I might just go to using it as a matter of course. It would be simpler than the way I have been finishing leaders, and undoubtedly provides a stronger connection.

Hmmmmm ....

John