+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peacock nowadays?

Hybrid View

Default Peacock nowadays?

how come all the peacock I see in the stores is so thin compared to what I used to be able to find? (I live in Colorado).

I used to be able to find thick peacock that was good for tying #12 & #14 nymphs. I can not find it anywhere nowadays. I have an easier time finding peacock for #18 & #20 nymphs.

Is there a "genetic " peacock that is being bread or something?

Mark:

I know what you mean!

As the number of local fly shops dry-up and disappear, and those that do business by mail and the internet, are reducing the amount of various materials that are in stock, I have come up with alternative sources closer to home for most of my fly tying materials. Sometimes you have to compromise, but the final outcome is not noticeable unless you look closely.

I purchase my peacock herl from JoAnn Fabric or Michaels. They have the short peacock feather (18") and long (36") they are in clear sealed bags, yet you can compare the various bags and know which have the thicker hackle.

I do not use rayon floss, instead it is JoAnn Fabric and Michaels with their rayon thread that does the trick, and the rayon thread works for replacement for silk thread. For my normal fly tying thread, I have switched to sewing thread (cotton, polyester, nylon), I save my Waspi Spools for refilling, using a wood dowel that I tapered one end and then insert in my cordless drill to transfer the thread on to my Waspi Spool.

As for hooks, I do not think there is any place that carries all brand names in hooks, and none having the whole line of hooks from any manufacturer.

I get my fur pieces from furriers, that repair fur coats and store them for customers. They sometimes throw away small swatches that they cannot use, and I get them for free....

If you need hackle I suggest Conranch Hackle, a Sponsor of FAOL. Denny only sells to the public, never to fly shops. Top quality hackle.

Parnelli

Mark,

I use an awful lot of peacock herl. I buy the strung stuff rather than the whole feathers simply for convenience.

I used to be able to buy decent stuff off the wall at craft shops. Now it's all pretty thin. It's fine for smaller patterns, as you've noticed, but wasn't full enough for much of my tying. Even the off brand herl at most fly shops nowadays is pretty sorry stuff.

While I purchase materials at the fly shop only when absolutely necessary, I do buy my peacock herl from Orvis. I have found that their 'large' herl in the 'big' package (enough for several thousand flies) is by far the best available of what I've seen. I use between two and five herls together to wrap most herl requiring patterns that I tie, and if I buy the 'good stuff' I can use fewer strands to get the same result. For me, this means that it's actually more cost effective to use than the 'cheaper' off brand stuff.

Orvis does mail order, and if you are having trouble finding good herl, try ordering some of theirs. There is no risk, as they have an unconditional guarantee and will take it back if you don't like. Or, if you have an Orvis shop near you, they will either have it or get it for you and you can avoid the shipping costs.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Mark,

I have this gosh awful matted ball of peacock herl that I have been picking apart for over 35 years and I've still not used it all up. The only saving grace for this mess is that there are a lot of thick herls in it. The herls themselves are also short in length, but fine for small Griffiths Gnats. The fibers are of even length on both sides of the stem also. It seems like a lot of herl you get today has long fibers on one side of the stem only. What I do with all my herls (peacock/ostrich) is twist 4 or 5 herls together to form my own peacock chenille. You would have to make a couple of these to cover the shank on a streamer. This method also makes the herl body much more durable than wrapping individual herls around the hook. This solves the short hair fiber dilemma for me. Hope this helps.

Best regards, Dave S.
    Last edited by fishdog54; 11-24-2010 at 02:37 AM. Reason: spellen - AGAIN Can't use spell-check because my checker is in French! LOL!!!

Cold Guest

If you know anyone that owns/raises them, ask for shed feathers. A friend of the family has a peacock and he gave me about a dozen beautiful feathers and told me to come back for another dozen as soon as I needed them. The hackle I bought strung in a bag works just fine for me, but compared to this stuff it's like night and day.

Have a buddy on another board that gets his peacock from these folks www.swalefandson.com he's sent me some and it's really nice stuff

On a thread over at Clarks Classic Mike Valla says:

"Something about that stripped peacock quill body just makes me smile--every time. About the Peacock. I've been asked about getting good peacock eyes. Well, I purchase the feathers in bulk--100 at a time. And sort through all of them, looking for good segmentation. You can usually spot good eyes by looking at the back of the eye. You can actually see the segmentation potential from the back. It takes some practice, like anything, but that's the trick. Out of the 100, I might get 12-15 "good" eyes.

With a hundred full feathers there's gotta be some good herl in their somewhere's!!

Fatman

Check out Charlie Craven's shop in Arvada (or on-line at www.charliesflyboxinc.com); materials I've bought from him have been of the highest quality. Heck of a good tyer, too.

Regards,
    Scott

Hey Scott, it's been a long time!

Natures Spirit, absolutly the best herl, ask for it at the shop you choose . Charlies Flybox probably has it. Feathercraft used to carry good stuff too.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Feathercraft was where I got some thinking that too, flybugpa...was disappointed. I suppose it can vary.

+ Reply to Thread