+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Czech Nymphing

Hybrid View

Default Czech Nymphing

Hi folks,

Its been a while since ive been on here but i was wondering if anyone uses this method of fishing in their arsenal? I'm very interested in trying this method of fly fishing, Can someone suggest a good book or CD on this technique

Regards

Gig

Normand Guest

Gig,

The guys pointed you tosome great information on the flies and on the 'how to'.

I use the technique in several waters where it's suitable. Ilike it a lot. It relies on feel and gives you real control over your flies.

It's so effective it should be illegal.

Plus, if you like close in flights, it's tons of fun.

Only tip I have, and this often gets left out. When you are new to this, MORE weight is always better. This won't work very well if you can't feel the weight on the line. Heavily weight the flies and buy a selection of large shot. You should be able to lead the flies downstream, and even slightly cross current, without losing control of them. If you place slack in your line, the flies should drop to the bottom and STOP, not flow with the current.

Also, if you aren't getting your flies hung up in the bottom every so often, you are doing it wrong.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I have used this method.

In additon to the other sites, this has been discussed here:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...-Nymph-Fishing
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Default Czech Nymphing, somehow Poland is involved in it, and I still don't why

Most of the sites on the world-wide-web on Czech Nymphing show patterns that are supposedly done with Polish Weave Patterns. For the most part I think that it has gotten to the point in fly fishing that we are now constantly re-inventing the wheel. I am still trying to understand the difference between a Wet Fly Pattern and a Flymph Various weave also have various names, some are even named after the individual that supposedly invent the weave, such as the "Pott's Weave" even though Mr. Pott was a maker of wigs and toupees, and he probably use weaves and knots that he used for constructing wigs and toupees, for his fly patterns.

After saying that, I can tell you that there is a learning curve when it comes to doing weave patterns on a hook, and I suggest that you find some video's online that you can watch until you come to understand all the procedures involved in the various weaves. Then it time to practice, practice, practice, and practice some more, until you can dress 12 hooks in a row that are identical and without a single weave loop out of place, no gaps between weaves.

All of the lessons in the "Advance Fly Tying Series" of Al Campbell are weave patterns, some for the body of the fly, others for the hackle.

I am still working on a DVD sent to me by Donald Nicolson (Scotland), the video has Oliver Edwards dressing a hook using the "Parallel or Shuttle Weave" for a nymph patten. Practice, Practice, Practice....then Practice Some More!

Is it a Polish Weave, I do not know, is using a weave pattern for a nymph, make it a Czech Nymph, again I have no answer. But when it comes to if the weave pattern works at catching fish, the answers is a enthusiastic "YES!!!" ~Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 11-03-2010 at 12:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread