+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can Someone Help with a Pflueger Medalist 1494 Question?

Default Can Someone Help with a Pflueger Medalist 1494 Question?

I know this is probably a silly question, but here goes. I just bought a new Pflueger Medalist. I don't know a whole lot about fly reels. It looks like this one is already set up for left hand retrieve. In the booklet that came with it, it said it has a "quiet click" on pay, and very quiet click on retrieve. However, it seems to be different on mine - louder on retrieve. I took it apart as if I was reversing it, and everything seems okay. The other odd thing is that everything I've read about these talks about a "4 detent" side and an "8 detent" side. Well, mine has 6 detents on each side. I'm guessing it's set up right, because the drag works on pay, but not retrieve. I tried flipping the drag disc and it didn't work right, so I put it back.

So, is this normal? Do the new medalists click louder on retrieve than pay? If not, what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Dave:

The 6/6 drag plate on your reel is definitely reversible so that shouldn't be the problem. Possibly the pawl is in the wrong position. The pawl is the little spring loaded "pin-like" protrusion UNDER the drag plate. Try taking the drag washer off and look at the pawl, it has a slanted side to use as a reference. Without removing the pawl, just rotate that slant 180 degrees from where it is right now and see if that changes things.

If not I'm sure some Medalist experts will chime in with other suggestions.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    Dave:

The 6/6 drag plate on your reel is definitely reversible so that shouldn't be the problem. Possibly the pawl is in the wrong position. The pawl is the little spring loaded "pin-like" protrusion UNDER the drag plate. Try taking the drag washer off and look at the pawl, it has a slanted side to use as a reference. Without removing the pawl, just rotate that slant 180 degrees from where it is right now and see if that changes things.

If not I'm sure some Medalist experts will chime in with other suggestions.

Good luck!
    Thanks, Bamboozle - maybe I will take it apart later and try switching the pawl, though it is in the position the directions said. The other thing I was thinking is that this reel comes set up as left hand retrieve. In that position, maybe it works right (louder click on pay)? I noticed that the pawl under the drag plate is plastic, and the pawl on the spool is metal... I should probably not worry about it and just fish, right?

Yea probably!

I don't ahve a anew medalist, in fact mine is from teh sixties, and it only clicks on teh retrieve... so... yea, on retrieve it is louder- in my very limited experience.
    My mom says it's all physics. I say that's my problem.. Just look at my old report cards....

Thanks. I have an early 1970s Medalist that clicks louder on the retrieve than on going out. I never noticed it until I got some additional Medalists a coupl eof years ago. That pawl thing might be the answer.

OSdave:
    As you noted, there are TWO pawls on the Medalist, the metal one on the spool, and the plastic one under the drag washer. The reason the clicks are different is because the metal pawl clicks one the wind and the plastic one clicks on the pay. The plastic one clicks on the pay because the metal one is seated in the indent, forcing the drag plate to turn, and the plastic pawl is 'slipping' as it should. On retrieve the plastic one is seated, forcing the drag plate to NOT turn, and allowing the spool to 'slip' on the top of the plate.

If the reel is set up for LH retrieve the steep side of the indent (when looking at the drag washer) should catch the spool pawl when the spool is turned clockwise. (I am really tempted to say the steep side of the indent is on the right – but that is rather misleading. Although maybe it makes some sense if you imagine the spool turning to the right.)

You don't have to remove the drag washer to ensure the plastic pawl is in the correct position for LH retrieve. Just remove the spool and use your fingers to turn the drag washer in the clockwise direction (it shouldn't go counter-clockwise). If it does move clockwise, all is good.

The Medalists I have are 25 years old and only showing the faintest wear on either the plastic pawl or the washer. Being nervous at the time I bought, I wrote to Pflueger asking for a new plastic pawl and spring - which they sent gratis, but I have never needed them!

+ Reply to Thread