+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who lives without TV?

Hybrid View

Default Who lives without TV?

Last night as we clicked through 150+ channels with nothing worth watching, my lovely wife points out that we are paying close to $80 a month for this junk, and why not just get rid of it. It has me thinking all day, and I'm really getting to appreciate the idea. All I would miss are movies, so a NetFlix membership would fill that void nicely.

So, who here lives without network/cable/satellite TV, whether you never had it or just gave it up? I'm curious to hear.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

For a relatively small investment you can put up an antenna and return to the days of free T.V. Mine can go months without being turned on but sometimes their is something worth watching. It is handy for local news and weather coverage at times.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

we disconnected cable a year ago but have local over the air channels for news and 2 1/2 men, total cost. $34.95 (one time) for antenna.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

I'm sure some of your Amish neighbors could give you some input.

Heck I don't even have a computer.... wait I mean I don't have a fancy one like Joe has......

TV cost is really high and I have as you Val been thinking of changing over to a Comcast bundle for all my data and tv services we pay $ 70.00 for just the TV now
    plus ATT, Verision ect.. , funny I had the same exact thought as you Val just two day ago...

Wife is on it tomorrow... I will chime back in with any huge savings, hopefully so anyway....

Be saFE
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

We have lived without TV for most or our married lives (30 years), through kids and all. We still watch rented movies occasionally, especially in winter, and aren't above going to friends and neighbors for a current event or some special occasion. It is sort of like smoking,once you quit you can't believe you ever did it. TV in general is so crass and the constant advertising really takes away any real experience that a good show might have. I read the news online and do it to excess for sure but to get your news without the hype and phony drama that comes with the network talking heads is really refreshing. It seems like TV just has to make everything so exciting, otherwise they are afraid no one will watch. I could go on and on but I better not.

We didn't have cable for about 8 years. Only got it about a year ago because it was a "2 for the price of 3" services through Mediacom....we "needed" the internet and land-based phone, so it was like getting the Cable for free. We rarely watch it. We do use our TV to watch rented movies or free movies from the Library, however. Even with the movies...about 1/2 the time I will just tie flies or go fishing in the dark rather than watch it.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Molcsan View Post
    Heck I don't even have a computer.... wait I mean I don't have a fancy one like Joe has......
    Steve, you have me wondering; Joe (Who?) I've been giving some serious consideration to bailing out on TV all together. The only shows I like are NCIS, Criminal Minds & American Chopper. BUT, for every 5 minutes of showtime, you have to deal with equal time (or more) of commercials. What the HECK am I paying for? I have better entertainment watching my dogs.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

We just have free TV at our place, and almost never watch it. When I first moved to NZ in 1997 I didn't get a TV and was without one for years and quite happy. The one we now have is used only to watch movies and other DVDs. We may even dump it and just get a nice big screen and use the computer for movies.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Blog Entries

Valhalla,

I haven't owned a TV in 6.5 years since I moved out of my mom's house and I don't miss it at all. Even when I was at home this summer with my family, (they have a big screen and cable with tons of channels) I didn't feel the need to turn it on because any entertainment I found on it would certainly be less enjoyable and productive than fly tying or spending time with my family, or reading a book I enjoyed, etc...

You could just do a trial with no cable for a few weeks and see what happens. The cable company certainly wouldn't prohibit you from signing up again. lol, and that's almost $1,000 a year saved. Think of what you and your wife could do with $1,000.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

+ Reply to Thread