+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uv light

Default Uv light

I am looking for a UV light for curing loons knot sense. I looked on e-bay but all their lights are shipped from Hong Kong and i really don't want to wait 3 weeks for delivery.

I do have the mini light from loon but it didnt last long before i needed more batteries.

So if you have a UV light that you don't use or have an extra, I would be happy to strike a deal with you.

Thanks for looking,
    Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

LEHB I just got new batteries for mine at Batteries Plus on the east side of Cleveland, I am sure there is one of those stores on the west side.

Blog Entries

ledwholesalers_inc

That is the company I bought mine from on Ebay. I got it in a few days. I don't believe it came from Hong Kong. But it was made overseas.

Thanks guys.

Tigfly I went to Mark's and got batteries for the light and it made no difference (still a very weak light) and won't cure the glue. I bought the light from Backpackers I will bring it back to them and see what they will say.

Kelkay I went to e-bay and bid on a AA flash light. Not sure now if I should have bid or just used the buy it now feature. Only a dollar difference and if I used the buy it now it would have been to my door on Friday. Live and learn.

Thanks again guys.
    Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Blog Entries

I just did the buy it now...but yes, you live and learn. If you are in a hurry, you should of did the buy it now. You do live and learn. If someone outbids you, just let them win it, and you buy it now on another one, that is what I would do if I was in a rush.

Lake:

I realize that a bigger lamp is the best option for repeated use but those mini lights can be temperamental. I have one that took a dunking and it never worked very good UNTIL I did my best to clean the battery contact point inside the lamp. Now it works great.

Also, get batteries from ANYPLACE other than Radio Shack. I get my batteries from eBay sellers for about $.40 each.

Thanks Bamboozle,

I will try cleaning the contacts but in my own defense I didn’t buy it to fix it and didn’t take it any further than my desk.

The thing that ticks me off is the inconvenience. Back Packers, the place I bought it is 40 minutes by highway, and is the only destination in that direction; so no killing two birds with one stone.

It’s not Back Packers fault, they buy and sell in good faith; Loon isn’t in the business of putting out inferior product. It’s just a reflection of my luck lately. Dern it.

Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Sean, sorry for your problems with the light. My suggestion is to contact Backpackers about the problem, tell them you're tired of replacing the battery and cleaning the contacts to get even a dim light, put it in a return envelope for refund. Tell them you've replaced the light with one that works and let them deal with Loon, who, as you said, usually puts out a good product. Good luck.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Sean, sorry for your problems with the light. My suggestion is to contact Backpackers about the problem, tell them you're tired of replacing the battery and cleaning the contacts to get even a dim light, put it in a return envelope for refund. Tell them you've replaced the light with one that works and let them deal with Loon, who, as you said, usually puts out a good product. Good luck.

Ron
    As usual, I might be missing something here. UV light is pretty much always "dim" as perceived by human eyes, unless it is so strong that it is dangerous. The light in question is a "mini" light, so it probably can not physically put out too much power. If anyone finds a decent handheld, battery powered light that does not need batteries to be changed (or charged), please let me know!! When using a UV light to catalyze these things, usually the light source needs to be held VERY close (millimeters) to the material. I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ about this, just throwing out some things based on years of experience working with many types of UV, IR, and other illuminators.

The light I use for catalyzing Loon UV products is a 42LED 380nm forensic inspection light powered by 3 AAA batteries. It cures the stuff very well, but of course it goes through batteries pretty fast.
    Last edited by jszymczyk; 11-03-2010 at 04:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread