Yellowstone National Park is opening some waters to year-round fishing beginning May 25 (really November 1, since the general season opens the 25th). This is the first time in many decades year-round fishing will be available in the park. I've known this was in the works for a while (I have an inside source), but couldn't talk about it. The Madison River from the WY/MT state line (near the Barns Pools) and more importantly for us the Gardner River from Osprey Falls to the Yellowstone River confluence will officially be open year-round starting May 25. Per my source, there's a possibility the Firehole, Gibbon, and Gallatin will open year-round starting in fall 2025 or on New Year's 2026. The Gardner River will be one of the best winter and spring wade-fisheries in the Rocky Mountain West. Due to the influence of the Boiling River hot spring, this water never gets too cold for trout and insects to remain active, and the late winter and early spring rainbow run rivals the fall brown trout run, without the crowds. Some old-timers I know got to help train rangers on fishing regulations by fishing in April on the Gardner one year, and they reported it fished better then than it does at any point during the general season. We will be offering SUBSTANTIAL discounts for brave anglers who want to plan a December-March ski/fish trip or and April-May shoulder season fishing trip. Details will appear on our website in the next few weeks, along with a winter fishing page and edits to other pages. This might well revolutionize our business: fifteen trips a year between November and April inside YNP is a Roth IRA contribution for the year, or the payment on a new truck... Here's the NPS news release: https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/24012.htm