+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Favorite Crappie Flies

Default My Favorite Crappie Flies

Favorite patterns seem to change over time. I wrote a short article (with pictures, of course!) on my blog about my favorite Crappie fly patterns. Check it out if you are interested:
    http://fishndave.blogspot.com/2010/1...-patterns.html
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Hey Dave, checkin' out your site. I'm listening to your playlist as I type. Wish we had more crappie opps here in big D. Oh yeah and also liked the three foot carp on the fly from a previous post. Fish on!
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Some really nice looking flies David and very informative article . Nice to see someone else uses craft fur, very under rated material, with allot of uses once you learn how to work with it.

Keep up the great work.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Hairwing:
    My playlist gives away that my musical tastes are still rooted in the 1980's.

ok...the King is wounded, but not dead...

Mickalo:
    I DO like using the Kraft Fur. It moves great in the water, and stays where you tie it (doesn't slip out like squirrel tail often does). Tied sparse, it can be good tail material in place of marabou or rabbit fur.

I think I need more colors!
    Last edited by FishnDave; 10-27-2010 at 09:19 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

[QUOTE=FishnDave;390824]Hairwing:
    My playlist gives away that my musical tastes are still rooted in the 1980's.

ok...the King is wounded, but not dead...

I think I need more colE]

ors![/QUOT
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Still tappin' my toe!

Looking at your micro jigs I did find an Ebay seller who sells those micro jigs in 1/80 & 1/100 oz sizes for reasonable price in 50/100 lots.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

really!? I might ask you for that info one of these days. At the rate I've been tying, my supply won't last forever!

I had bought some from Sportsman's Warehouse (can't remember the manufacturer's name on the packaging, though)...and the hooks they used in the microjigheads were JUNK. I had tied some up, and was using them last Fall, and couldn't figure out why the fish kept getting off the hook before I landed them. Turns out the hooks were SOFT. They would straighten with very little pressure. I checked the rest of the package, and found a few others were that way too, but not all. Now I always check the hook strength on these before I tie the materials on.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Here's a link to their storefront

http://stores.ebay.com/Fishhunter775-Tackle

Mike

Thanks! I see he also has some jig hooks, which might be useful for certain hook-point-up patterns!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread