The mailman brought me a sample a couple of days ago of some new line from the folks that make SpiderWire.

It's called UltraCast Flourobraid.

Basically it's a braided Dyneema product with some flourocarbon mixed in so the stuff sinks.

I've done a few furled leaders for bass and pike topwater fishing from Spiderwire Braid, and it's ideal for that. But it floats like a cork. Even heavily weighted flies didn't do much to pull it down.

I like the strength and low stretch of the braids for the hooksetting ability and feel. A sinking 'superline' should allow that for underwater presentations, and might be espceially useful for saltwater leaders and those of us who like to throw big streamers at bass, pike and other toothy or tough mouthed critters.

It won't be cheap, I think the 'MSRP' is in the $20 range for 100 yards, but a leader furled from this stuff should last for years.

Comes in sizes up to 80 pound test. The one that will interest me and most leader furlers will be the 10 pound strength with the 2 pound diameter...what they sent me was 30 pound/8 diameter....a bit heavy for most of my fly fishing....but maybe as just a heavy staight leader.

I did 'test' it in a tank to see how it sank relative to 'regular' flourocarbon. Sink rate over the 19" depth I had available was identical to straight 8 pound flourocarbon line...as far as I could tell. Not scientific, but close enough for me.

Keep an eye out for this stuff if you have an application for it. I expects it will show up first in the heavy bass fishing targeted shops.

Good Luck!

Buddy