+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fisher rods? Anyone own one...or know...

Hi to all,
    I have a GT-40 9' 5/6 wt, it has a spigot ferrule. I also have the J. Kennedy Fisher catalog from the latr 70's or 80's there is no date on it. Their address was in Carson City, NV not Reno as has been mentioned.

The multi-piece rod is listed as their "El Grande" Series it made up into 4 rods - 9' 3/4wt, 6'9"3/4wt, 9' 5/6wt and a 6'9" 5/6wt. The retail price listed is $450.00. If anyone would like a copy of the pages from the catalog, just email me and I will make you a copy.

Dick
    xfishcop

OOPS!! The catalog that I mentioned does have a date - it was for the 89/90 season. It lists the "Sterling" combo rods also with a "combo" handle the price ranged from $350-$375.

Dick
    xfishcop

Some heavy line weight models, e.g., 11/12 were produced with huge tip over butt ferrules in the 1980's. Under Joe Fisher all other blanks were internal spigot. Blanks can only be identified by a a turn of masking tape on the butt end with the model number written in black ink.

The J. Kennedy Fisher Company is currently owned by Harold Bacon in New Hampshire and Steve Nelson in California. (he's the Hollywood person)
    They are getting things in the works to start producing rods again.
    Harold has about 250 graphite and 50 glass rods on hand and a couple thousand blanks somewhere out west.

I have 2 Fisher rods, both are 6 wgts. One is 9 feet and the other 11 ft. I like them both and am glad I bought them when I did. I prefer the spigot (I believe that Fisher called them Internal ferrules) and all my rods except the 9 weights have them. I'd like to see them back in production.

Incidently, I recently received a catalogue in the mail called "J Fisher" is there any connection?

Ol' Bill

I got these rods in the mid 90's actually. Did they still use the spigots then?

herefishy and all,
    The catalog that I have does not mention any tip over butt ferrules. All written descriptions and photos either mention "Fisher internal ferrule system" or show an internal ferrule.

brumat007 - glad that the scanned copy worked.

It won't be long until the California season opens!!!! YAHOO !!!!
    Dick xfishcop

xfishcop, many thanks again. The attachment you sent me opened and printed perfectly. You made my day and as soon as you tell me what type of flies you enjoy using, you have some on the way. RBF, I emailed you but haven't heard back, did you get it? thanks to everyone and I can't wait for my Fisher Sterling combo to arrive. Bruce brumat@gmail.com

9. Default

xfishcop is right. The Fisher Company was moved from LA to Carson City, not Reno. Their actual plant was located at nearby Moundhouse, as I recall. Joe Fisher who designed the rods for the Company, in my opinion operated in the same rarified air as Don Green of Sage as an innovative rod designer. A rod designers' "Family Tree" would probably include many descendants in some manner to the philosphies of Fisher and Green; particularly western rod builders.
    Good Fishing,
    Les

I must look into this business of the spigot ferrule - the rod I had built was designated as a Fisher, and I have a source for more blanks, if you are interested. I will look closer at these blanks and see if their really is an identifying Fisher mark. Xfishcop, is there anything in the catalog about a tip over butt ferrule, or do they all have spigot types?

+ Reply to Thread