+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canadian Fishing Trip

Default Canadian Fishing Trip

Afriend of mine has invited my son-in-law and I to go fishing in Canada in August. I haven't been fishing in Canada since the early 60's. We'll be near the town of Anglier, Quebec. Fishing for smallys, walleye and northerns. I plan to take a fly rod in addition to the spinning gear and am wondering if wolly buggers and clouser minnows are enough flies. Comments?

Though not the two types you mention, we have always done real well useing baitfish immi's in the 3" to 6" range. Our fave is the "Embellished Lefty's Deceiver" in the FOTW stuff. Mostly because we use'em around here and have lots of'em anyway. Just gotta get'em to the level of the fish. There are more durable bugs but we gotta use'em up before they get stale anyway.
    ....lee s.
    PS - Enjoy the trip. Ours is in early July.

[This message has been edited by lee s (edited 22 March 2006).]

Smallies will take lots of different stuff. Minnow imitations and poppers. Don't forget some trout flies because I have seen smallies eat mayflies before and be selective. Walleye and pike will be deep that time of the year. You will probably need a full sinking line and weighted flies. Clousers will be good for the walleye but you may need bigger weighted flies for the pike.

I don't actually have thoses species where I live in Nova Scotia and this info is taken from fishing shows and magazines and such.

Ed

You are in for a treat! You hit on the main flies we've used in the past, buggers and clousers. We also use some saltwater streamer types in bright colors. The tip on big poppers is definitely valid as well. The topwater slams are fantastic and the 8-wt got a workout... Enjoy!

Dave, ...

Anglier, ... on Lac des Quinze ...

that would be about 10 miles due east of the Ontario border.

Not too familiar with the area, ... but all the flies these guys have mentionned should be just dandy.

If you get into the weeds and find some hungry Pike, ... try big flat faced muddlers. Fish it right on the surface like you would a popper for Bass. Drop it down just outside the horse tails and lilies, ... wait, .... pop it a few times, ... wait ... When the weeds start separating and a lunker somes cruising out to see, ... Hang ON!!

If you're there 2nd week of August, ... try to pop uver for the FishIn:http://flyanglersonline.com/travel/quebec06fishin/

E-mail me if you like.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015738.html:e8e22]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:e8e22]

[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:e8e22]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:e8e22]
    Christopher Chin

Gurglers for the top... Pike and bass take em!

Clousers, Decievers, Buggers, probably the best sub-surface flies to tie and lose.
    Basic colours, grey/white, green/yellow, black, white, black/white, red/white, etc.
    Like mentioned, fish them deep or in the dark.

Get them with weed guards if you can, vegetation is normally thick by August.

Hi DaveD3,

You need to hear from "fcch"!!! He lives in Quebec and does a lot of fishing. He should be able to tell you all the information on the area you will need to know.

Alan (salmonguy)
    Catch & Release Works...

+ Reply to Thread