+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hungry?? ............also

Hybrid View

Default Hungry?? ............also

Since the subject was brought up earlier, these stuffed peppers would also probably work during pangs of hunger. Great comfort food and not all that hard to prepare.

All that's required is 2 cups Minute Rice, 1 sleeve Ritz Crackers, 1 can (46 oz) tomato juice, 2 lb ground chuck, +++1 lb HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGE ( bulk)+++ 1 tsp granulated garlic, and 1 cup sour cream mixed with 3 tbsp tomato paste as a thickening agent for the sauce ( after cooking is complete). AND, of course, the peppers. Best to use a deep pot ( as pictured) with a cover. Method should be obvious- mix meat and dry ingredients- stuff peppers-place in deep pot and cover to 3/4 depth of peppers with tomato juice. Thicken resultant sauce/juice with the sour cream/tomato paste slurry. Takes about 90 minutes @ 325 deg.

Mark
    PS: Should have wiped the pot a bit before photo but.....................oh well.
    Last edited by Marco; 10-25-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Marco,

The stuffed peppers look great even with the unwiped pot. You're going to have to remember those little wiping details if you are going to submit recipes to Gourmet or Bon Appetite . I don't mean to sound like a health food weenie but do you think the dish would turn out OK if you fried the chuck ahead of time and poured off the grease. I might then add a little stock to moisten the mix before stuffing the pepper. My arteries aren't too good to start with so I'd like to be a little gentler on them. Your dish looks WONDERFUL. 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 10-25-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Blog Entries

love stuffed peppers

8T,
    Actually, a FANTASTIC idea regarding the rendering of some of the fat and pouring it off. I agree it this were done, some altrenative moistening ( stock or maybe the tom juice?) would be required for the rice to cook properly. In any case, I too am no "health food weenie" but even IF there is a slight taste differential, I could EASILY get over it. Trust that my next "batch" will be as per your suggestion. I believe the dish has enough powerful flavors to overcome the missing FAT.
    Thanks for the suggestion. AND, if it doesn't work, prepare to be notified by my solicitor.
    And Spinner, your "stuff" ain't too shabby either.

Mark

PS: And I almost forgota VITAL ingredient for the stuffed peppere, bulk HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGE 1 lb and as suggested by 8T, rendered to pour off fat. What must I have been thinking to forget THIS?????

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    8T,
    Actually, a FANTASTIC idea regarding the rendering of some of the fat and pouring it off. I agree it this were done, some altrenative moistening ( stock or maybe the tom juice?) would be required for the rice to cook properly. In any case, I too am no "health food weenie" but even IF there is a slight taste differential, I could EASILY get over it. Trust that my next "batch" will be as per your suggestion. I believe the dish has enough powerful flavors to overcome the missing FAT.
    Thanks for the suggestion. AND, if it doesn't work, prepare to be notified by my solicitor.
    And Spinner, your "stuff" ain't too shabby either.

Mark

PS: And I almost forgota VITAL ingredient for the stuffed peppere, bulk HOT ITALIAN SAUSAGE 1 lb and as suggested by 8T, rendered to pour off fat. What must I have been thinking to forget THIS?????
    Hi Mark,

Please let us know who the second attempt turns out. If I receive notification from your solicitor, I'll know that it was not good. 8T

8T,
    Even as we "speak". The next batch is in oven . I, OR my solicitor will contact you pending taste results . So far, the aroma around our kitchen is favorable.

speaking of comfort food how about a nice miss of liver and onions fried in thick sliced bacon with mashed potatos or rice wth a good white gravy made out of the pan juices and you cant forget the butter milk biscits on the side mmm good eats.

Liver and onions with bacon wrapped around the slices...oh yeah ! Hot out of the cast iron skillet...brings
    back memories of Grandad tellin' us kids to 'eat it while it's good and hot or you won't like it'....think
    i'll check the store soon for some liver !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

i love the smell of liver and bacon and onions frying.
    I wish liver had a different consistency.
    I can't eat it.

I helped my brother process his deer today so dinner was naturally sauted onions with venison liver fried in bacon grease. You can't beat fresh liver. Between the high cholesteral of the liver and the fact that I ate almost a pound of it I might not survive long on that kind of meal but I love it once a year during deer season.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

+ Reply to Thread