+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CROOKED FORK CREEK OCTOBER CADDIS - Fly of the week - October 25, 2010

Blog Entries

Default CROOKED FORK CREEK OCTOBER CADDIS - Fly of the week - October 25, 2010

CROOKED FORK CREEK OCTOBER CADDIS

Had the good fortune to capture a live one a couple weeks ago ? an October Caddis on the Crooked Fork Creek in Northern Idaho. The thing that struck me, compared to my recollections of other specimens I have been able to get my hands on was how ?leggy? this big fall caddis is. Another thing about this particular insect was how uniformly colored it was. While there were varying tones on different parts of the fly, the basic shade was a slightly orange medium tan.

John: Thanks for sharing your pattern. I tied one kinda like it a while back and it worked.

For all: John's instructions say: "Take a good number of wraps through the butts of the deer hair to secure it in place.". Let me echo that point. After I had caught a couple of 14 inch bows the deer hair became loose. My fault. Next tie I will consider more wraps & maybe a shot of super glue.

Tim
    Last edited by Panman; 10-25-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panman View Post
    For all: John's instructions say: "Take a good number of wraps through the butts of the deer hair to secure it in place.". Let me echo that point. After I had caught a couple of 14 inch bows the deer hair became loose. My fault. Next tie I will consider more wraps & maybe a shot of super glue.

Tim
    A little bit of super glue should do the trick, just like it does for Wally's GFA Hopper (similar style, could probably be used for October Caddis, too):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juofPgOpic4

Very interesting to see how John's flies have evolved over the past few years. Simple flies that catch fish; can't ask for anything more than that.

Regards,
    Scott

Hi John,

I put posts on the main board, and fly tying boards requesting an October/fall caddis pattern on Saturday. I certainly didn't expect a new pattern, and article on the main page on Monday!

Thanks for the help, and great service! (Just kidding, but it still is really cool, and the pattern looks darned good too.)

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

I tied up a variation of this guy. I think it'll work quite well. Main difference on mine is that I tied the body back, and folded it forward, then built the head like you did. It works well for me. I think both will catch fish, both are quick to tie. Great fly John and thanks for the idea.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

+ Reply to Thread