Thread: Streamer Hook comparison - picture needed

Threaded View

I have those three hooks for my tying, but would have to check before making a pic to ensure they were all the same gap size (i.e. #8s).
    IF we can presume that Mustad is accurate in applying their theories to 3XL, 4XL and 6X long, then you could use the logic that a size 8 3XL would have the same shank length as a size 10 4XL or a size 12/14 6XL - and thus possibly cut down on the number of hooks you purchase.

For what it is worth from the practical side, I use the 9672 for beadhead nymphs or long nymphs like damsels. I use the 79580 for most of my (shorter) streamers, esp. zonkers and matukas and definitely for all my WBs (where the length of the fly includes a tail tied at the bend of the hook). I think the 6XL hook is good for long streamers made of bucktail and esp. feathers, because the length of the hook helps keep the bend at the back of the fly so that the materials don't wrap around the hook (bend) with each cast.

I will PM you a scan of their old catalogue with pics of all the flies, if you PM me with email address, I can't see how to make a file attachement thru FAOL system.
    Last edited by Greg H; 10-24-2010 at 08:52 PM.