+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bridges............

Hybrid View

Default Bridges............

I've often thought, that if I were a truck driver delivering ice cream, I'd be in deep melted product. I have this problem that I cannot cross a bridge spanning a river without stopping and looking over and most times fishing the water. On our recent trip to Wyoming, our normal driving time was probably extended by 10-15 hours onaccounta my "problem". It started on I -90/94 in Wisconsin at the Wisconsin River bridge and on to South Dakota where I-90 crosses the Missouri River and after 30 bridges and stops ,ended at where Cottonwood Creek crosses the road in Grand Teton NP. All these stops produced maybe 15 fish but sure made the miles "fly by". My best stop ( shhhhh- don't tell anyone) was where the Snake River crosses the John D, Rockerfeller Pkwy near Flagg Ranch between GT and Y'Stone NPs. After settling down in Jackson, we did come back to that stretch and did real well hooking several Browns in the 15" to 20" range.
    There is just something about bridges that is magnetic to me. Lead me to a remote wooden trestle bridge spanning a stream and I'm in .................
    This is a pic of a nice 15" brown taken at the aforementioned Flagg Ranch bridge. As you can plainly see, no fly fishing garb was hurt during the taking of this pic

Of course we all know that when alone, photos are TOUGH to do well. And I'll have you know, these pics are of three different fish. Three of perhaps 15 that were caught and released. None smaller than those pictured.

I just wonder, am I the ONLY one with this "problem"?

Mark
    Last edited by Marco; 10-26-2010 at 03:03 AM.

WHAT?!?! I'm headed to Wyoming rivers if they can produce browns that big!!!

"...hooking several Browns in the 15' to 20' range. " Darm! That's a SERIOUS fish!!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I too have this problem. With me it isn't just bridges though, it's also lakes, ponds, etc. Anything that shows blue on the map spells doom and delay on any trip. It's five hours from here to visit family in Nebraska. Generally takes me 12-14 hours to make the trip.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

nighthawk Guest

Aw gee-whiz here I thought you were going to post something really glowing about me. Hey I am named Bridges ya know.

Eric,
    Had I remember your name being "Bridges" I would have added : Bridges, NO, not THAT one.

Mark

None of you all gunna comment further on Marks 15 FOOT or 20 FOOT fishies?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Marco,

You do have a serious obsession but one that I can perscribe a proper treatment to try to 'cure' you of it. I suggest you try to overdose on your obsession. You will either 'cure' yourself of it or you will get hooked even more and upon the rare occassion you may actually get literally hooked every so often.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Some bridges were harder to fish under than others. BUT, there are , sometimes, other benefits. I caught that one in 67'

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Some bridges were harder to fish under than others. BUT, there are , sometimes, other benefits. I caught that one in 67'

I also made my best catch in '67 also and that spot where you and your sweetie are standing is one of my sweeties favorite places to visit. Her first trip a friend with the SF FD gave her the grand tour, including dinner at a local Italian restaurant (Cap's Corner) in North Beach, the trip under the bridge to Ft. Mason, sunset at Cliff House and the city lights at Twin Peaks. She was sold.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Unc Jes,
    Sounds like our identical itinerary except for the restautrant. We opted for Scoma's, Allioto's and the Bay City Diner for their pot roast with a cab reduction sauce ( to DIE for) and of course the Cafe Buena Vista for Irish Coffee. At my life's end,I wish the Lord gives me back ( at least) the time I've spent crossing ( on foot) the Golden Gate.

Mark

PS: Jes, I'm sure you'll agree these restaurants, yours and mine, beat the heck outta the Varsity in Atlanta
    Last edited by Marco; 10-26-2010 at 09:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread