Quote Originally Posted by Moscow View Post
...keep a sharper eye out for emergers in the afternoon.

Moscow
My observation is that if you see ANY adult October Caddis in the vicinity or if you are on a creek that you KNOW has this hatch around the time of year you are there, you should give the adult version a reasonable chance to catch the fishies.

My best day with the CFC O. C. was on Rock Creek when there were lots of adults in the air and on the water. But I have had a couple very good days with that pattern on a couple other streams when I have seen only a couple, literally, adults in the air. The day that I fished that pattern on the Blackfoot, I didn't see any October Caddis around, but did reasonably well with it.

Two things to consider. First, there is some overlap between the early October Caddis emergence and the end of the Hopper season. You might recall from my thread on the CFC O. C.

Second, when the fish become aware of these big bugs, they will be looking for them whether you see any or not. And they will stay on them for a while after the hatch has ended for the season.

John

P.S. I know that fishing these big bugs near the bank is highly touted for the reasons given in the linked article, and I have had some success doing so. However, I tend to fish them well away from the banks and catch most of my fish midstream in the places you expect trouts to hold.