+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sight fishing for redfish

Hybrid View

Default sight fishing for redfish

I am excited. I will be getting my first go at some redfish the first week of November. We will be in the marshes of south louisiana 50 miles from ground zero of the oil spill. I've been told the marshes look great and the fishing is on.

Any suggestions on flies would be appreciated.

Spoonflies work. My favorite is the Dupree Spoonfly. My go to fly is the Kwan in either light brown or rust. It can be tied with and without legs, but is effective either way.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Bedlam,

Come on down! This is the very best time of the year to chase reds in the Louisiana marshes. They're feeding like crazy and building up their "shoulders", in preparation for the colder months. At this time of year, you can "hear" and "see" the reds "crashing" bait and crabs... Sometimes, they even come completely out of the water onto the bank to catch fiddler crabs!! Whoo Hoo!

Before coming down, check out both the "New" and "Old" Forums at: http://www.laflyfish.com/ This is the site where all the locals discuss everything about fishing for reds in the greatest estuary system on the North American content. They discuss locations, flies, techniques, getting together to flyfish, as well as, many other related and non-related topics.

Bring fast action rods, in 6-9 wt.s. I tend to fish mainly with 7's and 8's, but have been known spend many days catching reds with my favorite fast action 6 wt. Why swing a 9wt. when a lighter rod will do as good as or better job? Oh, having a fighting butt on your rod is a real plus!

While the surf fishing is great, if you're targeting reds, then you'll be in the marsh and there is vertually NO WADE fishing in our marshes! So, bring a skinny-water, paddle craft, i.e. a canoe, kayak, or piroque, as it will give you the opportunity to "self-guide" to millions of acres of redfish filled marsh. Yes, I said "SELF-GUIDE to MILLIONS of ACRES of REDFISH FILLED MARSH!"

If you don't have a paddle craft, then BUY ONE... Ya' can purchase a yak or canoe at any of a number of venders down here. It will be money very well spent.

If ya' can't bring a boat down, there is a outfitter on Grand Isle who will rent you kayaks by the day (at a pretty reasonable price) and guide ya', if you'd like.. again money well spent!

There are also great guides all across South Louisiana with whom you'd love to spend a day or two. These guys can all show you the time of your life! The cash that ya' spend with them will be best cash that ya' ever spent in your life! The web site above will list many of their names along with contact info.

NOTE: Due to the oil spill, the business of many of these marvelous guides have suffered, even though the oil never effected the vast majority of the redfish filled marshes where they guide. People across the country assumed the worst for ALL the Louisiana marsh and quit coming down... BUT while tragically, many areas were oiled, the vast majority of our millions and millions of acres of marsh were not oiled or otherwise even slightly effected by the BP Oil Spill. People across the country need to understand that fishing pressure in our marshes (and coast) has has been down for years due to Katrina, Rita, Gustoff, Ike AND the BP Oil Spill. In addition, the shrimping and pogie fleets have been greatly reduced, and the strike netters, who net the mullet for their roe, have also greatly decreased in numbers. The result of all of this is that the reds in our marshes seem to have actually increased in numbers, i.e. less fishing pressure on both the reds (and other species) and their prey species equals MORE and BIGGER REDS!

There are fly shops in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Denham Springs. All have knowledgable staff who would be glad to assist you. Again, see the web site for their listings.

There are also Federation of Fly Fisher clubs across the state, who are listed on the laflyfishing website, and the folks in these clubs know reds! Most of these clubs also have web sites.

Like I stated, "Spot Tails" or "Poisson Rouges" are everywhere in our marshes. While our limits are generous, i.e. five reds per day over 16" and these limits are usually easily obtained, you'll want to practice catch and release, so ya' can keep fishing all day.

Oh, and you're gunna' eat so well, that you won't wanta' go back home...

So, prepare to be "ruined" for fishing other places... We all are!! HA!

Bowfin47

PS

We also have lots of specked trout, white trout, ladyfish, flounder, black drum, spanish mackeral, and a host of other species to catch. I once stood in the surf at Grand Isle and caught 16 species fo fish while fishing a single fly! Yeah, we've got great fishing down here!
    Last edited by bowfin47; 10-25-2010 at 02:54 PM.

I've been working down in Patterson, La for the last 3 months just got back for my final month and I can promise you that YOU DO NOT WADE THE MARSH! even if it's above water don't try it I sunk up to my boys in that muck! this time I drove down and my yak followed me everyday I have off I plan on spending all the time I can casting flies at the reds. Yes the food is good down here I think I've picked up around 10-15# since I've been here :-O Later,

Kirk

Bowfin47,

I lived in Boutte LA for 5 years until I moved up to Jackson MS after Katrina(my company made me move). I only started fly fishing a couple years ago, but after looking at the map and realizing how close I was to great marsh fishing, I am kicking myself. I own two Hobie Outback pedal kayaks (here is a link to a review of the kayaks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrf1FMEISkQ ) , which I imagine would be perfect in the marshes. When we visit my in-laws in Luling, LA, I usually sit on my butt the entire time. Next time I will bring my kayaks and get some worldclass fishing in.

I can't wait for next wednesday.

+ Reply to Thread