+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the appeal of short rods?

Blog Entries

Default What is the appeal of short rods?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm basing this assumption on the postings here on FAOL. I know you guys and gals like your 6'6" to 7'6" rods in 2 to 4 weights. I have a 7'6" 4 wt but I just find it not as practical as the 9' . Including my arm, I get about 12' reach with a 9' rod. Out here in California most use 9 foot rods, 4 or 5 weight, for all kinds of fishing in streams, rivers and lakes.

Greg

My wife and I do a bit of fishing from a tandem canoe. We are less apt to invade each other's space with shorter rods.

But I use shorter rods almost everywhere. Primarily I think because they are my favorite rods to cast.

Jim

I have rods from 5'6" to 14'.

There is ONLY one reason for that.

I WANTED THEM!!!

I think the small rods are just plain fun.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

Greg,

It may be an eastern thing, where there are more trees, foliage, brush, etc. on the streams and small rivers. Just a guess.

However, I have rods from 6'10" to 9' and the most fun is had with the little 6-10. It's a custom; Cabela's Stowaway 8'6" 3wt. with the butt section dropped. It feels like you're one with the fish instead of fighting that big rod for control.

Maybe that's why Lee Wulff liked that little 6' 5wt. bamboo so much.

Actually, if you wanted to get an answer to your question for next to nothing on a rod that will last you a lifetime (no commercial), pick up a Cabela's Clear Creek 6' 5wt. for $99. I fish with tons of guys out here that have the 7.5 3wt. 3pc., beat the hell out of it and they're still going (bunny commercial).

It's a whole different feel and approach but not a replacement; just an expansion of your fun.

Jim

It is not just an "Eastern Thing", it also is helpful, in the "Upper Midwest", where we have dense foliage to the stream edge. Also, many of these streams have mucky bottoms, so it is impossible to go wading.

Rarely do we have a need to cast more than 30 feet (9 meters. Most of the casting, calls for a roll cast, or sideway cast (standing sideways to the stream with the rods tiptop, extended out over the stream), casting upstream.

A long fly rod, is more of a bother than worth, fishing these types of water. Also the fish a wee bit on the wee size. Anything over a 4 weight rod would be unnecessary. for these waters, it is nice to use leaky hip waders. They make great chaps to keep the burrs and bramble off of the trousers, and you can cut off the stocking feet, and tuck the cuffs inside your stockings.

~Parnelli

They also work great on the small tree covered streams of the southeast where a longer rod tends to catch in the overhead branches. My 7 ft 2 wt is also a terrific rod for bream fishing with small flies.

Jim Smith
    Georgia

Out here in the South West I use a 7Ft 3wt and a 7'4" 2wt on the small stream and creeks. some times there is just no room to back cast a big rod and I find the "little" guys more accurate.

Then there are the days with my 9ft 3wt and 8'6'' 5wt and my...well you get the picture to many rods and not enough days!!!

------------------
    The best time to go fishing is when it's raining and when it's not
    The Best time to fishing is when it's raining and when it's not

Most of the water within an hours drive of my house is small stream pocket water. Less than 20 feet wide, small enough to jump across in a few places. Thick over grown fir and pines on each bank with limbs that overhang the water, forming a sort of 'green cave' In between pockets of good water there are dense willow thickets with only a few deer trails to provide access. I often have to crawl on my hands and knees to get to the water. If I fished a rod over 7'-6" I would spend most of my time gettting tangled, or worse yet snap my tip section.

Blog Entries

That sounds like fun crawling through the brush to the little stream overhung with pine and fir boughs. Really, what a great way to get lost for a day.

Jim, you may be right. I should get one of these little rods just for the experience. If it puts a smile on your face it will mine, too. I might have to build one of those little 2wts.

Likewise, Greg, I have a 7'6" 4wt and I consider it my small brushy creek rod; and there are some occassions I'll use it on some small ponds. I like my 9' for the more open river and mill pond applications.

I suppose there's an attraction to what we first really learned with. In my case it was an 8' rod and this size is just so handy and workable for me. Should I be heading out for some area or waters that I'm not familar with or never fished before, my first choice to tote along is the 8 footer ... I can make do with that rod.

Dale

+ Reply to Thread