+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain Gang Nymph

Default Chain Gang Nymph

Anybody tied this fly or fished it?

Comments even if you didn't......

http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hat...edium=web&utm_

No I haven't...but I'm impressed with its ingenuity!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I have never tried or seen it before, but, it looks like the tail will wrap around the hook bend rather easily. Could be wrong though.....Interesting design....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

With that short of a bead chain I don't think it will wrap around the hook, but it will provide some great movement. If I fisihed nymphs enough, I'd try a few.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Guys,
    Here's a VERY practical "MY" opinion of THAT particular patteren. If you think THAT level of realism in ABSOLUTELY necessary to fool a pea size brain of a fish..................................?????. This from my experience of MANY hours astream in some VERY technical waters in the West. My success has always been a result of presentation, size and color and very little else. In the case of the example herein, anything of that color, length and general profile presented "properly" will produce fish IF they are inclined to eat.
    By the way, I wish I had the talent to tie THAT fly.

Mark

I have a couple tied, mine don't look that good, but if the good Lord is willing I will baptize them this weekend. The second one I took my dremel and cut a slot in the front bead, that worked well. Tying the chain to the top of the hook was a little too much fun, but I can make about any job more difficult given enough time.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I saw a similar application several years ago...different stuff on the bead chain, but the same concept/idea.

Didn't move much..you'd think it would at first, but if you really think it through, though, why would the bead chain flex or bend? Unless some force acts on it to push it out of straight, it won't.

My experience is that it won't move much more than a typical nymph. But it may get down better, so that in and of itself may make it very effective.

In any event, simple to tie and sure looks good.

Buddy

I like it! Something different to tie. I was also thinking that that short of a length of bead chain would not pose a problem, but a good question nonetheless.

Best regards, Dave S.

silly question, but how sure are we that the original uses metal bead chain? the reason I ask is two-fold. First, my local hardware store sells that black beadchain that is actually black plastic beads formed onto a black string. These are very flexible and still heavy enough that they sink pretty well. Second, if it is actual metal beadchain, I would imagine that it would weigh enough to flip the whole works over so that the fly will ride point up...
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

The recipe states Abdomen-Metal Bead Chain (Medium). Scroll down from the picture.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread