+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hook designations

Cold Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    I wonder how many hook manufacturers there actually are? Could some brands be using the same manufacturer; i.e., Orvis, Trout Hunter; etc.? There are also barbed vs. non-barbed; whisper barb; etc.
    "Store brand" hooks are (I would have to say) always made by other hook makers and re-labelled. Hooks like Orvis, Cabelas, etc. This is pure speculation, but I always thought Cabelas brand hooks looked similar to Tiemco.

I would prefer to know exactly what hook was used for the fly I'm looking at. I may not use it, but I'd like to know. I have no problem looking up the make/model if I'm not familiar with it. There are any number of new pattern types that are being developed that call for hooks that are also developed for that fly. Many are foreign patterns with unique hooks.
    Absolutely. I think that if the specific hook is essential for the pattern, usually the tutorial-maker will specifically point that out. Also agreed that 'foreign' hooks (that is...for me...hooks more common across the atlantic) offer a completely different variety to choose from. Some of the brands are available here, just not as commonly as Mustad, Tiemco, Daiichi, etc. Hooks like Partridge, Varivas, Kamasan, Knapek, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    Because when I say TMC 100, everyone who has ever tied a fly knows what I'm talking about.
    Every one, except for me, that is. I mostly tie on Mustad classics. I just looked it up and it appears that the TMC 100 is a standard dry fly hook? What's you're problem with just saying that? Sheesh!
    Tim

I think it's part of the internet's effect on things... now I find I'm able to get much more specific info by Googleing the model number etc...

+ Reply to Thread