Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
I didn't say the people on this site. I said people who tie flies. All of the tiers I know would know what hook I was referring to if I just said a 100, without the TMC. Course they tie trout flies, not bass bugs.
You assume too much. I tie trout flies and the only Tiemco number I know is 7999, which isn't even a trout fly.

I don't always agree with bass bug, but in this case I do. I just describe a hook used in a pattern based on any features that make it favorable for the pattern, or just mention the specific model I used.

For example, if I tied a streamer, I might say 'any 3-4X long streamer hook' or I might say 'Dai-riki 700'. If I expected everyone to know what I was talking about just by saying '700', that would be ridiculous.

If I were tying a typical dry fly, I'd just say 'use your favorite standard dry fly hook'. Obviously there are several different models. Myself, I prefer using 1-4x fine wire, up-eye if I have em in the right size.

One of these days I'll have to post a step-by-step where I just say to use a 7974, size #15.