+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hook designations

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Hook designations

With the proliferation of hook manufacturers these days it gets really frustrating when we tiers describe a hook by using a maker's model number instead of a real description of the hook. Is it because an we don't know how to describe it, is it because we have a vested interest or is there a taint of snob appeal?
    I can only speak for myself, but I don't have a built in memory of cross indexed hook model numbers.
    Instead of saying a hook is a Tiemco 200R why not merely say it's a 3XL tde curved shank hook.
    I'm sure there a a lot of detail oriented tiers who will comment that there are variations in 3XL tde curved shank hooks between makers but I would question whether the fish would care. Please remember, I'm not talking about precise tying to exactly duplicate historic classics.
    We have enough to do just trying to keep track of all the trivial variations in synthetic fibers and yarns.

Because when I say TMC 100, everyone who has ever tied a fly knows what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    Because when I say TMC 100, everyone who has ever tied a fly knows what I'm talking about.
    94840 ...........
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Bass_Bug Guest

I'd be quite surprised if more than 10% of the people just on this site could describe a TMC 100. And that number is probably high.

When I describe a pattern I tie, I just say what model hook I tied it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    I'd be quite surprised if more than 10% of the people just on this site could describe a TMC 100. And that number is probably high.
    I didn't say the people on this site. I said people who tie flies. All of the tiers I know would know what hook I was referring to if I just said a 100, without the TMC. Course they tie trout flies, not bass bugs.

Well, yah, you know, it's got the straight part on it and, ya know, it's not too big around, and it's all shiny and it curves where the sharp pointy thingie is. How'zat?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Well, yah, you know, it's got the straight part on it and, ya know, it's not too big around, and it's all shiny and it curves where the sharp pointy thingie is. How'zat?
    What about that little loop on the end? Has it got one of those? And that little thing that make it hard to get out of your thumb?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Cold Guest

I didn't say the people on this site. I said people who tie flies. All of the tiers I know would know what hook I was referring to if I just said a 100, without the TMC. Course they tie trout flies, not bass bugs.
    You assume too much. I tie trout flies and the only Tiemco number I know is 7999, which isn't even a trout fly.

I don't always agree with bass bug, but in this case I do. I just describe a hook used in a pattern based on any features that make it favorable for the pattern, or just mention the specific model I used.

For example, if I tied a streamer, I might say 'any 3-4X long streamer hook' or I might say 'Dai-riki 700'. If I expected everyone to know what I was talking about just by saying '700', that would be ridiculous.

If I were tying a typical dry fly, I'd just say 'use your favorite standard dry fly hook'. Obviously there are several different models. Myself, I prefer using 1-4x fine wire, up-eye if I have em in the right size.

One of these days I'll have to post a step-by-step where I just say to use a 7974, size #15.

And how many would know what a TMC 100BL would be?

It is getting frustrating.

It's pretty easy to just write a simple description of the hook: 'standard dry fly' '4X streamer', etc. We don't need all the tiny details unless they are critical to the fly design, just something that will tell us how long and if it has a funny bend (I'll just use a straight shank hook anyway and bend it, I HAVE those).

Model numbers are not descriptions, and having to use a hook chart to figure out what the hook 'is' is something I wouldn't bother with.

I think it's more of the snoot factor than anything else, or maybe just lack of respect for the those who will read it. That or just the age old 'since I know, you should know too. It's the fly tying code, you figure it out..' type of attitude.

I'd like to see the whole realm of fly tying simplified, though...descriptions of the FLY, not just some inane name, but I'll never see that either.

Buddy

+ Reply to Thread