+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mercer's Psycho Prince nymph?

Hybrid View

Default Mercer's Psycho Prince nymph?

This version is tied with ice dubbing, does anyone have any idea how this fly is tied? Also, maybe I am more concerned about variations of the original Prince Nymph, what other variations have worked for you? I've searched and can't find anything related to some of the other Prince's that fish well?

http://store.theflyshop.com/catalog/...oducts_id=2553

Tim
    Last edited by oldschoolcane; 10-21-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Normand Guest

its tied just like a bead head version of a prince nymph but use the materials in the recipe provided in the link

try this link (i cant see it on my work computer because of our security dept blocks alot of sites, but it may contain a tutorial)

http://flytyingclub.org/nymph/mercers-psycho-prince
    Last edited by Normand; 10-21-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    its tied just like a bead head version of a prince nymph
    Huh? Well maybe the tail is, but that's pretty much where the similarity ends.

Weight the thorax area with lead, and tie in the tail as you would a Prince, then tie in two overlapping pieces of treated turkey tail by the tips (width about 1/2 gape) and then tie in wire rib at the bend. Dub a tapered abdomen to about an eye's width from the bead, fold overbody forward and tie off, then counterwrap with wire rib. Tie in goose or turkey biots, concave side facing outward, on each side of the fly, length about to the point of the hook. Double a small tuft of Angel Hair around the thread, tie in on top of the fly, and trim short. Last step is to dub a collar using UV Ice Dubbing, whip finish and you are done.

Have always had best luck with the original orange version. None of the others color combinations have ever seemed that effective. Other popular Prince variants in my area worth looking at would be Hart's Dark Lord or Fred Gordon's Prince, neither of which are earth shattering variations, but they can be quite effective at different times and in difference waters, especially if the fish are tired of seeing the Prince. You might also look at the Diawl Bach, which may well be the progenitor of the Prince. There are a ton of other variants out there, but it is very hard to beat the regular Prince Nymph (or more rightly, the "Brown Forked Tail"). Here's one more place to look at: http://stevenojai.tripod.com/prince_nymph.htm

I like tying them in a purple with a brown UV dub as a collar. I use white biots for the wing and an amber for the tale and use the rest of the recipe. Some times I also use a 3761 with a longer shank but the 69 is good too just a bit compact usually in a 16. They have worked really well here in the NW and the one fish my girlfriend keep and eat on our week long trip to Montana was caught on this fly. Use it as a dropper fly weighted or not, but the bead is almost a must.

Cheers
    Jake
    09610982.jpg

Well........between packing for my fishing trip this weekend and other concerns at home I just didn't have much time to tye many flies but I've got all my flytying gear with me to work on this pattern while we camp and fish. I think I am going to focus instead on the Lite Brite Prince Nymph due to it being slightly simpler and it may be a quicker tye while I am fishing. I'll be back here after the weekend to relate how this worked.

Little late here for your weekend trip but check out Rick Takahashi's Go 2 nymphs, too:
    http://www.flytyingclips.com/

Similar and you could sub biot tail for hackle fibers; the UV Midge braid comes in lots of colors and would really simplify the tying process. Had good luck with this in chartreuse a few weeks ago in Idaho.

Regards,
    Scott

Here's another shot (bottom of the page) with material list:
    http://stevenojai.tripod.com/prince_nymph.htm

Looks like a pretty straightforward tie, addition of carapace and wingbud, substitute z-lon for hackle on the beard.

Regards,
    Scott

Those links help, but I am really trying to understand what colors & variations seem to fish the best with this version of the Prince? I may also tye it without the bead and I'd like to simplify it also.

Wow, that link Norm provided has an incredible # of videos under that section....

The pattern is more of a style than a specific recipe, with bright colors the common denominator. Lots of different combos you could try to see what works best; bright orange like the one in the link or chartreuse, pearl, hot pink, whatever. Experiment, have fun.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread