Lately, I've become interested in furled leaders and have started using them in my warmwater ventures.
Betty showed a few of us this past thursday how she makes her leaders. After a demonstration, she let me try one as she told me what to do. I chose to make a 3 foot leader out of bright pink 140 denier tying thread. This choice led to several comments from the peanut gallery (who will remain nameless at this point! )
Well, this evening was glass calm out, so I grabbed my 5-foot 2-wt and put the bright pink 3-foot furled leader on, tipped it with 2-3 ft of 6lb fluorocarbon. My first fly was one of Rick Z's furled tail leeches... I like 'em in a size 12. Simple tie, looks great, and fish love them!
Proof's in the pudding, boys! The pink leader works.

A nice chunky 8-inch male bluegill! I ended up catching a few more gills, a crappie, a green sunfish, and one very energetic small channel catfish. All but the channel came on the leech. The channel cat ate a bead chain "Foxee Red" Clouser minnow.
I was very happy with how the furled leader layed out better than 5 feet of straight fluorocarbon. Can't wait to make a few more!

Zac